Young Mount Gambier mother’s life lost too soon

SUPPORT: Family friends and supporters gather outside the Mount Gambier Courthouse to honour the life of Eden Kennett and rally against violence in the community. Picture: SANDRA MORELLO

SUPPORT: Family friends and supporters gather outside the Mount Gambier Courthouse to honour the life of Eden Kennett and rally against violence in the community. Picture: SANDRA MORELLO

A GRIEVING Mount Gambier grandmother has made an emotional plea for people to flee the cycle of domestic violence following the horrific death of her grand-daughter.

A heartbroken Coral Chaffey has spoken out publicly over the loss of her much loved grand-daughter Eden Kennett, 25, who died after a violent attack late last week.

Mount Gambier man Bradley Wayne Trussell, 27, has been charged with murder and manslaughter in relation to his domestic partner, however is still to enter a plea, with the matter expected to return to court in August.

The death of the young mother has sent shockwaves across the Mount Gambier community.

Emotional scenes were seen outside the Mount Gambier Courthouse earlier this week with Eden’s friends and supporters gathering to honour her life.

Sifting through photographs and holding back tears, Ms Chaffey expressed her disbelief and horror that her granddaughter had died.

The grandmother said it was heart-wrenching to see Eden laying lifeless at Mount Gambier Hospital.

“I will never understand. I had a premonition six weeks ago the next time I would see her she would be dead,” she said.

“I pray nobody ever has to feel what I am going through.

“Mentally I am still waiting for Eden to pass by and say ‘hi grandma’.”

Ms Chaffey revealed Eden’s organs had been donated, which was something she would have wanted.

“Some of Eden’s organs were harvested and I understand they will be used for little babies,” she explained.

Ms Chaffey – a former volunteer at the women’s shelter in Mount Gambier – said she had been overwhelmed by the support flowing from the community.

“I am one of those people who plod through life and I am very guarded with the friends I have, but I never realised I had so many,” she said.

HEARTBROKEN: Grieving grandmother Coral Chaffey holds photographs of her much loved granddaughter Eden Kennett, who was killed in a violent attack. She is comforted by family friend Nikki Roberts. Picture: SANDRA MORELLO

“I have had strangers sending me messages and saying they know exactly how I feel and they have told me they have lost a loved one in the same way.

“There are so many people who have suffered like me – this is really unfair.”

TAKEN TOO SOON: Mount Gambier woman Eden Kennett, 25, died last Friday following a violent attack.

Ms Chaffey revealed Eden was a “free spirit” who had faced some tough times.

“But she got up and did things the way she wanted. She made her own choices and that was that. I just kept picking her up.”

Ms Chaffey said Eden was often laughing, her smile would light up a room and she was great with children.

“Her death is such a waste. She never got the chance to become the person she was meant to be.”

The Mount Gambier resident said her heart went out to other families who have experienced a similar loss.

“Eden’s former partner and five-year-old child are sticking close together to try and come to grips with this tragedy.”

In a heartfelt gesture, Ms Chaffey praised the nursing and medical staff at Mount Gambier Hospital, as well as Limestone Coast Police.

“They were just brilliant, I was never left alone at the hospital by the wonderful nursing staff. Even the cleaner stopped at the door and asked if I needed a coffee,” Ms Chaffey said.

“It appeared the whole hospital was feeling this terrible tragedy.

“Eden was born at the old Mount Gambier Hospital.”

During court proceedings, police prosecutors alleged Eden was assaulted last Thursday, but died on Friday after succumbing to her injuries.

Trussell – who was remanded in custody – initially appeared before the court on Friday after he was charged with serious assault causing harm and recklessly causing harm.

These charges were later replaced with murder and manslaughter.

Trussell is expected to remain in custody while he awaits his next court appearance in August.