Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsNew year set to bring major upgrade for rural community hall

New year set to bring major upgrade for rural community hall

Tony Pasin Mil Lel Hall  TBW Newsgroup
EXCITEMENT: Mil Lel Memorial Park secretary Janet Phillips and president Brian Douglas invited Member for Baker Tony Pasin MP to turn the first sod at the Mil Lel Hall last week before the $160,000 renovation works begin early next year. Picture: MOLLY TAYLOR

THE planned $160,000 overhaul of the Mil Lel Memorial Hall is expected to start early in the new year.

Buoyed by a $77,000 federal grant secured earlier this year, the hall refurbishment will build on the facility’s 60 years of service to the rural community.

Works will include showers and toilets with disabled access, increasing site access and bringing the community hall up to modern standards.

Member for Barker Tony Pasin turned the first sod last week as preparation works begin ahead of next month’s planned construction.

Mil Lel Memorial Park secretary Janet Phillips said there had been growing interest from community members who were keen to use the hall once completed.

“I think it will be great especially when it will be disabled friendly,” she said.

“We often have enquiries and phone calls who ask whether the hall is disability friendly and often have to turn them away.”

Mr Pasin said the hall was more than just a building.

“It brings the community together and has done for over 60 years,” Mr Pasin said.

“There is a really strong sense of community in Mil Lel and this building is at its heart.

“I know there has been a committed fundraising effort to upgrade the amenities and I am pleased the Federal Government is helping to support this.”

Mr Pasin said he was looking forward to visiting the site again once work was completed.

Park president Brian Douglas thanked the community for its generosity in getting the building upgrades running.

“The over $15,000 in donations we have received is really what has got us over the line,” Mr Douglas said.

“These renovations will keep the hall up and running.

“We want the building to remain a viable hub for the community to use.”

With Naralilla Homes contracting the site, the hall upgrade is expected to be completed before the end of March.

“We hope these renovations will open the facility up to a wider range of events, people and the broader community.” Mr Douglas said.

“This is one of the few halls remaining in the region and we would like it to continue to be in use.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...