Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsWattle Range Council comeback

Wattle Range Council comeback

Dennis Muhovics October 22   TBW Newsgroup
BACK ON BOARD: Millicent businessman Dennis Muhovics has returned to Wattle Range Council as a representative for Corcoran Ward. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH

RETURNING Wattle Range councillor Dennis Muhovics has ruled out a second bid for the mayoralty.

He was mid-way through a European vacation last month when he won the supplementary election for the position on Corcoran Ward, vacated by former deputy mayor Glenn Brown.

Cr Muhovics secured almost two-thirds of the primary vote so there was no need to allocate preferences.

The Millicent businessman polled 1098 first preference votes in the supplementary election, well ahead of Nicole Looby-McRostie (329), Ryan Jellesma (186) and Klaus Emmerich (30).

Cr Muhovics previously served as a Corcoran ward representative from 2014-18, but was defeated for the mayoralty a year ago by newcomer Des Noll.

Speaking to The South Eastern Times this week just after his return from Europe, Cr Muhovics said he was grateful for the backing of the community in the supplementary election.

Cr Muhovics also thanked the three unsuccessful candidates for their interest.

“I will be happy being a councillor and I have no intention of seeking the position of either mayor or deputy mayor,” Cr Muhovics said.

“I have had my go at being elected the mayor.”

He has not ruled out the possibility of seeking a further term as one of the five Corcoran Ward representatives when his current term expires in three years.

“I will be 69 years of age when the next council elections are held in 2022.

“I will be sworn in by a Justice of the Peace at 4.30pm on November 12 and this is just before the next monthly council meeting.

“I am looking forward to working with Des (Noll), my fellow councillors and the executive leadership team.

“Des is doing a good job as mayor and he has a different style of leadership.

“He relates well with people and this comes from his previous work as a police officer.

“I received a briefing about council matters from Des and council chief executive Ben Gower on Monday.”

According to Cr Muhovics, there will be some council matters which will command his attention.

They include the future of the Millicent saleyards, rating models and governance issues.

Council has set aside $20,000 in its 2019/20 budget for expenses relating to the supplementary election.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...