Students partner with elite institute to create play

EXPERIENCED WORKSHOP: Tenison Woods College year 10 students and 2018 TWC Graduates Isidora Pandilovska and Charlotte Smith involve themselves in the full-day session with Dr. Stephen Sewell.

A STATE of the art dramatic play was on show at Tenison Woods College recently when leading drama writer and director Dr Stephen Sewell hosted an interactive, full-day workshop with Year 10 drama students.

Appointed as National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA) course leader of writing for performance in 2013, Mr Sewell’s 30-year career has included work as a playwright, screenwriter and novelist, as well as directing for both theatre and film.

Chairing the Australian National Playwrights Centre for a number of years, he is also the recipient of numerous awards with his work performed in major Australian theatres as well as nationally-recognised venues in New Zealand, United States, United Kingdom and over Europe.

Through the collaborative partnership between NIDA and the college, students and recent graduates have been mentored by Mr Sewell to write a play based around their interests and social concerns.

The process will develop a performance piece which aims to spark conversation and be relevant to young people.

“From our point of view, NIDA’s commitment of supporting young people will be of benefit when considering our partnership with Tenison Woods College,” Mr Sewell said.

“We believe in creativity and want to support colleges like Tenison in pursuit of developing the same qualities.

“We believe it is not just about education, it is also about developing creativity as a part of Australia’s economic future.”

College drama teacher Eliza Suggest said the NIDA outreach program was a unique opportunity to foster and develop student voice and creativity.

“It is great to see opportunities arise for our students to work with someone from the most prestigious drama school in the country,” she said.

“It is also fantastic to see the tangible reality of a career in the arts.”

Mr Sewell said the opportunities from NIDA will encourage and further develop creative mindsets.

“These young people who learn more about the arts will think more creatively and will be more fit in future career opportunities they pursue,” he said.

As part of a joint venture, Mr Sewell will return to the college for another full-day session in March.