Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsNuclear energy plant questioned

Nuclear energy plant questioned

ENERGY FORUM: Liberal candidate Craig Marsh and Shadow Energy Minister Dan van Holst Pellekaan addressed a crowd of more than 50 people on South Australia’s electricity situation at Tuesday night’s energy forum.

THE development of a large nuclear energy plant in South Australia to bring down electricity prices is not feasible, Shadow Energy Minister Dan van Holst Pellakaan has said.

Mr van Holst Pellekaan outlined a number of issues around the cost of electricity at an energy forum in Mount Gambier this week.

More than 50 residents, business leaders and Liberal Party faithful attended the meeting Tuesday evening where the shadow minister outlined the party’s pre-election energy solution.

The plan, which includes a $200m interconnection fund to improve connectivity with the National Energy Market, as well as a $100m household battery program, would assist in pushing electricity prices down, Mr van Holst Pellekaan said.

“We have similar weather patterns with Victoria and because weather directly impacts on the capacity on renewables and the demand of electricity, it makes things very, very difficult,” he said.

“We’re at the end of the line with interconnection and we need to strengthen it to increase network stability and drive down prices.

“Our solution will provide grants averaging $2500 to help 40,000 people buy batteries for their homes.

“40,000 homes is around 20pc of the number of people who currently have solar and that will make a significant impact on easing pressure off the grid.”

Mr van Holst Pellekaan said the state’s current energy situation was exacerbated by both the high take-up of renewable energy sources and the closure of Port Augusta’s coal-fired power station.

“With renewable energy, the Liberals, Labor, Greens and Xenophon all want to get to the same place,” he said.

“It’s how we get there where we do have different views.

“Without thinking about all the impacts, the government increased its 33pc renewable energy target to 50pc.

“Coal was going to run out and get more expensive, but a transition away from fossil fuels to renewable energy needs to be a smart transition.

“If that power station had been allowed to stay open for a few more years, we would not have the problems we’ve had in the last few years.”

In supporting the move to renewables, Mr van Holst Pellekaan said a coordinated approach between the states in relation to energy targets was necessary.

“The State Liberal party has a plan to negotiate with the other states and Federal Government to establish one nationally agreed renewable energy target,” he said.

“We don’t need an aspirational target in which a target you have gets surpassed, we need a target each state can commit to achieve.”

When asked about expanding the plan to include nuclear by audience members, Mr van Holst Pellekaan said he had no concern about its safety, but conceded it would be too timely and expensive.

“It will take about $15b and take about 15 years before we would get a benefit out of it,” he said.

“We don’t have $15b and if we went halves with another state, we don’t have $7.5bn.

“Most importantly, we don’t have 15 years to wait before we would get some benefit from that electricity.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...