Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsGlobal media deal on course

Global media deal on course

BOOSTING AUDIENCES: Nick Redin – from the state’s thoroughbred racing body – says live on-course commentary will be beamed from Allan Scott Glenburnie Racecourse following a historic media agreement.

LIVE racing action and trackside commentary at the Allan Scott Glenburnie Racecourse will soon be beamed to audiences across the world following a landmark deal by the state’s thoroughbred racing body.

As part of the Racing.com deal, a number of races at the Glenburnie Racecourse will be live streamed to a wider digital market of waging operations and households.

Thoroughbred Racing SA (TRSA) officials – who were in the city for the $3.3m Glenburnie track redevelopment funding announcement – described the multi-million dollar media rights agreement as exciting for the Mount Gambier racing industry.

TRSA chief operating officer Nick Redin said the media agreement would see racing at Glenburnie potentially reach 98pc of SA households on free-to-air television.

He said the deal would enable regional trainers and Mount Gambier Racing Club to raise their profiles.

“Every Wednesday and Saturday we will have live hosting on course across the state – and that includes Mount Gambier,” Mr Redin said.

He said the production house was in Mount Gambier last week looking at where the host and cameras would be placed.

Mr Redin said part of the project included building new outside broadcasting trucks.

He said every regional cup meeting, including the Mount Gambier Gold Cup – would have live broadcasting and commentary trackside.

“We are spending $160,000 on new cabling at the Glenburnie Racecourse,” Mr Redin explained.

“TRSA is reinvesting in the industry and the infrastructure to make sure the cabling is best practice.”

Importantly, he said the project aimed to raise the profile of the Mount Gambier club and regional trainers.

“Post race interviews with trainers will happen when we have live on-course broadcasting,” the industry official said.

“There are 2500 jobs across the state that are generated by the industry – we want to keep growing it.”

TRSA chair Frances Nelson said the new media rights agreement represented the best possible outcome for the industry.

“The agreement reached with Racing.com and their sublicence to Sky Racing ensures that South Australian racing will not only continue to be screened on the channels provided by Sky, but also make our racing available via the free-to-air platforms that Seven West Media and Racing.com can provide,” she said.

“It will allow our industry to be more thoroughly showcased via the Racing.com programs, which provides great exposure for all clubs and participants.”

Racing.com chief executive Andrew Catterall the addition of 180 South Australian thoroughbred racing meetings to the existing calendar of 520 Victorian and 88 Hong Kong meetings greatly enhanced viewer experience.

“Our shared objective will use this philosophy of every screen, every phone, every connected device to grow nationwide audience and interest in SA thoroughbred racing and, in turn, help grow wagering turnover and revenues for the local industry,” Mr Catterall said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...