Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsRegional talent called to grace theatre stage

Regional talent called to grace theatre stage

Frank Morello TBW Newsgroup
ARTIST CALL OUT: Sir Robert Helpmann Theatre manager Frank Morello is calling on Limestone Coast performing artists to put forward an expression of interest to perform on stage.

THE Sir Robert Helpmann Theatre has put out a call to Limestone Coast performers to help fill the void left by a reduced touring schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The theatre swung open its doors to the public last weekend with around 30 patrons attending Saturday evening’s screening of Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto on the Lake.

Shifting its focus to developing regional feature performances, theatre manager Frank Morello said it was a critical time for the community to support the performing arts sector.

He said it had been wonderful to see patrons return to the facility and encouraged a range of artists to put forward an expression of interest in using the venue.

“When the virus hit South Australia the performing arts industry fell silent and it has been a long time which is heartbreaking,” Mr Morello said.

“It is such an important part of our lives because it adds enrichment and touches our lives in such a special manner.”

Mr Morello said a fantastic opportunity now presented itself for regional artists to reach a broader audience, with streaming options also available.

“It is nice to be able to do something here at the theatre again and bring some enrichment back to the community,” Mr Morello said.

“We want to celebrate our local performing artists by giving them an opportunity to perform their work on stage as part of our live and local program.

“It really allows us to celebrate our local artists because they are the first ones to come together to raise money or shine a light on issues or causes and we want to show that support back to them and show that we care for them.”

Mr Morello said the theatre would use a small budget allocated to the project but encouraged any artists to register their interest.

“We want locals to give it a go because COVID-19 put a stop to travelling performers so we have shifted our focus to locals who may not typically have this opportunity,” he said.

“By having local artists performing on stage at the theatre it allows us to sharpen our focus on our local artists.

“It would be great if we could continue this project after the virus has settled down.

“For now we are just running with it and seeing where it takes us but there is no reason why we could not work closer with local artists in the future.”

Artists interested in registering to perform can do so via the Sir Robert Helpmann Theatre website.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Amaya’s latest exhibition

MOUNT Gambier/Berrin artist Amaya Rampatige has unveiled her latest exhibition. Held at the Port MacDonnell Community Complex, Amaya's latest exhibition showcases her artistic development...
More News

St Martins Swimming Carnival

ST Martins Lutheran College held its Year 7-12 Swimming Carnival recently at Wulanda Recreation and Convention Centre, with strong racing and participation across all...

Lead ag teacher continues in 2026

A program building the skills and confidence of agricultural teachers in schools across South Australia is entering its fourth year in 2026. The SA Lead...

2026 Country Championship success

THE Mount Gambier Softball Leagues representative teams showcased their skills over the Australia Day Long Weekend at the Softball SA Country Championships. The...

Man jailed for four-day assault

A Mount Gambier/Berrin man who strangled and repeatedly assaulted his partner over four days has been sentenced to three years and nine months in...

Emma Memma brings a Jungle Picnic

PACK a snack and get ready to twirl, Emma Memma is making her way back to Mount Gambier/Berrin. The popular children’s entertainer is looking...

Troubled bridge under spotlight

Naracoorte Lucindale Council is seeking feedback from users of the Struan House Road bridge to understand impacts should the bridge be decommissioned. Council has been...

Army recollections

Naracoorte Men's Probus Club members experienced the facilities and hospitality of the Naracoorte Men's Shed for their January meeting. Despite many others being away on...

Inspiring guest speaker for WAB members

LOCHABER Women in Agriculture and Business (WAB) members enjoyed hearing from their guest speaker, Naracoorte High School teacher Tammy Schinckel at their last meeting. Ms...

Road maintenance highlighted

A NUMBER of roads within the Tatiara District Council will receive a facelift. Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Emily Bourke responded to council’s correspondence...

New exhibition encourages dreams

There’s always something happening at the Millicent Library and Gallery. Attracting an audience of over 150, the opening of Remember to Dream exhibition was...