Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsViolence protection scheme success

Violence protection scheme success

SOUTH Australia’s new initiative aimed at protecting people at risk of domestic violence is showing positive results, including identifying potential victims who had previously never reached out to support services.

In the first seven months of operation, the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme has received 132 applications, highlighting a strong awareness and uptake of the scheme by people at risk of, or experiencing, domestic or family violence.

Two thirds of those accessing the scheme have not had any previous contact with domestic violence support services.

Centacare Limestone Coast Domestic Violence Service manager Susie Smith said the centre was seeing an increase of women who have not had contact with services, as well as those who may have not felt confident or able to reach out.

“What we know is feelings of shame force some women into just putting up with the abuse and not accessing services,” she said.

“Whatever the reason she did not reach out in the past, the success of this scheme is that she is receiving some level of risk assessment and expert safety planning.

“She can then make the informed choice to stay in the relationship or leave.”

The scheme, which started accepting applications on October 2 last year, gives at risk individuals the chance to find out if their current or former partner has a history of violence or related offences.

An application can be made by any person in South Australia who is over the age of 17 years.

The disclosure of information by South Australia Police allows them to make an informed decision about their safety and the safety of their children, seek assistance, undertake safety planning and decide whether or not to remain in the relationship.

Assistant Minister for Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Carolyn Power said the scheme was an early intervention initiative and part of a holistic response from government to address domestic violence.

“Early intervention is crucial in changing the story for those at risk of experiencing abuse,” she said.

“While responding to domestic violence with accessible crisis services and stronger legislation, as the Marshall Liberal Government has is important, we are also aiming to stop the violence before it starts.”

Visit police.sa.gov.au/your-safety/dvds for more information about the scheme or to make an application using the online form.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...