Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsTown pride damaged

Town pride damaged

REPAIRS UNDER WAY: Wattle Range Council employees Kym Fatchen and Graham Knaggs used a high-pressure hose on Thursday morning in a bid to remove graffiti on the “Welcome to Millicent” sign.

MILLICENT police officers are seeking information from the public in their quest to identify the vandals who recently damaged the “Welcome to Millicent” sign on the Princes Highway near the Millicent Cemetery.

The damage was reported to police last Wednesday morning.

The unknown culprits have written an obscene phrase and an “identity tag” as well as damaged the stone structure with multi-coloured spray-painted patterns.

The illuminated sign was erected at considerable expense by Wattle Range Council and replaced an ageing and dilapidated sign a few years ago.

It is chiefly constructed from white dolomite freestone from a private quarry and has an estimated replacement value of $35,000.

A police spokesman said photographs of the distinctive tags had been taken and sent to the police intelligence section for assessment.

“We would like to hear from anyone with information about the vandalism via the Crimestoppers hotline on 1800 333 000,” the spokesman said.

Wattle Range Council chief executive Ben Gower noticed the vandalism when driving past on Wednesday and immediately alerted his work crews.

Mr Gower said it was not the sort of activity that he wanted to see in Millicent.

“The stone walls received three coats of graffiti-proof sealant when they were erected,” Mr Gower said.

“It would have taken quite a while to do the graffiti and hopefully they were seen.”

Council crews used a high-pressure hose on the structure on Thursday and the stonework was completely repainted later in the day.

News of the vandalism was posted on the Facebook page of The South Eastern Times and drew a hostile response.

“Hope they are caught and given a hefty fine,” Jenny Verbena said.

“Hope they find out who did it and make them clean-up their own mess and still put them through the court system,” Snow Gurney said.

“Let’s hope they find the culprits and they are made to repair the damage,” Marilyn Jones said.

“How sad. More absolutely senseless damage to our town, “Annette Abbott said.

“They should be made to clean all the graffiti with a toothbrush on a stinking hot day,” Deb McDonald said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...