Murphies open game up

TEAM WORK: Glencoe's Donna Jaeschke looks ahead for an option. Pictures: SOPHIE CONLON


PORT MacDonnell headed to Glencoe for Round 8 of Mid South East netball and looked to continue their reign over another top-four side after defeating Tantanoola last round by two goals, while the Murphies came off a convincing win against the Saints.

Both sides were without some tall timber, with Caitlin Hentschke missing from the Murphies and Megan Hein for the Demons.

Glencoe was made to work hard from the first centre pass, with Alysha Coon getting hands to early ball and creating a turnover for the Demons.

The Murphies defence was also switched on early and their pressure forced an error from Port MacDonnell to eventually allow Glencoe to score a long-awaited first goal.

The scoreboard ticked over goal-for-goal for the opening part of the game, with both goal shooters – Kori Collins for Port MacDonnell and Chantelle Cocks for Glencoe – the focal points of the shooting circles.

Both Collins and Cocks were strong on the hold and good feeding placement kept defender’s hands out of reach.

It was the Murphies defensive end that tightened up their pressure and began to confuse the space for the Demons’ attack line, which gave their side more scoring opportunities.

Glencoe headed into the first break with a 17-10 lead.

The Murphies came out of the break firing.

Sarah Edwards and Alice Tentye worked in unison to shut down the middle third and intercept any long passes.

The constant defensive pressure and quick transition down court by the Murphies allowed them to pile on the goals before Port MacDonnell could find their rhythm again.

The Demons’ defensive circle of Emily Thompson and Alana Berkefeld began to turn to their focus to the threat of Cocks at the post.

However, it did not stop the scoring of the home side, with Jenna Paproth taking a heavier load in the second quarter.

The Demons eventually settled, with Coon working hard in attack to get the ball into their goal third.

When the Demons were able to get a steady transition, it was hard to stop the hold and accuracy of Collins who continued to be a threat under the post.

At the main break the Murphies led 31-20.

Port MacDonnell made a number of changes heading into the second half, with only Thompson and Berkefeld remaining unchanged.

Collins moved out to goal attack and was joined by Lara Wilson in the circle, Cody Manning moved to wing attack, Kate Faint into centre and Coon back to wing defence.

With an adjusted line up the Demons re-entered the game loud and energised.

Their defensive end worked tirelessly to hold up the Glencoe transition into attack and successfully forced the ball to be returned to the transverse line on multiple occasions.

The intense pressure from the Demons was rewarded with some early turnovers, but in attack the change was not as successful.

Collins was unable to have the same effect on the game out at goal attack, with Edwards working hard to keep her away from the post.

Once Glencoe adjusted to the pressure of the Demons’ defence, the mid-court duo of Ashlea Pfitzner and Donna Jaeschke worked patiently to feed the ball into Cocks and Paproth.

At the final break the Murphies led 43-28.

The game turned scrappy in the final quarter and with legs beginning to tire, both sides threw the ball away and inaccuracy began to creep in on the shot from both ends.

The Murphies continued to be patient with the ball in their attacking third, with any misplaced high balls snapped up by the long arms of Thompson, who stepped up in the final quarter.

However, the Demons continued to struggle converting their turnover ball, with Edwards still a threat of any transition balls in the middle third.

Coon moved back into centre for the final quarter and continued to run hard alongside Jaeschke for the remainder of the game.

In the end the Murphies came out victorious 52-32.

Best players for Glencoe were Cocks and Edwards and for Port MacDonnell Collins and Coon.