Roosters too strong at home

WELL ATTENDED: Robe Football Club hosted the ANZAC game in Round 3 of Mid South East football with a big crowd in attendance.

By Trevor Jackson

ROBE 13.14 (92) d HATHERLEIGH 8.14 (62

A STRONG opening term helped cement Robe’s win over Hatherleigh in the Mid South East football match of the round.

The ANZAC round honoured those who have served the country, with the Robe Football Netball Club putting on an impressive display for those attending.

The senior footballers claimed the win on the back of a solid effort from Riley Dickinson in front of goals, with four majors to his name.

The opening term saw the home side ahead by 17 points, but the visitors were not about to let the day escape without a fight.

By the long break the deficit had been wiped, with scores tied up at 40 points each.

However, after the break the Roosters came out firing, banging on another four majors while holding Hatherleigh goal-less for the term and a resulting 31-point lead.

The final term saw a more even affair, but by then the damage had been done and Hatherleigh did not have enough in the tank to hold off the Roosters and put a winning score on the board, going down by 30 points.

Zac Deane, Brodie Foulds and Jack Kelly contributed two goals each for the victors, while Brad Wight was the only multiple goal kicker for Hatherleigh with two.

George Dutton, Jordan Pettit, Tom Williams, Tom Wachtel and Dickinson were named best for the victors, while Jack Skeer, William Chay, Michael Telford, Jake Wight and Luke McGregor were best for Hatherleigh.

GLENCOE 17.18 (120) d TANTANOOLA 5.13 (43)

Some inaccuracy in front of goals by Glencoe was all that saved Tantanoola was a much bigger loss.

As it was the Murphies claimed the win to the tune of 77 points, with 18 behinds coming off the boots of the Glencoe forwards.

Tantanoola had the same problem in front of the big sticks, with 13 behinds and just five goals.

A relatively even first half saw Glencoe lead by nine points at the first break, then stretch it to 21 at half time.

From there the flood gates opened and the Murphies began to find their rhythm.

A further seven goals in the third term – to just one from Hatherleigh – put the game to bed, with just the final stanza to really make their mark.

That produced another five goals, while Tantanoola could only manage two.

Dylan Childs revelled in the delivery up forward, with five goals to his name and was joined by another eight goal kickers.

For Tantanools, just Brandon Pitts kicked more than one goal, with two to his name.

Childs, Zacc Cocks, Brodie Glynn, Patrick Mitchell, Tom Edwards and Jake Blackwell were named best for the victors.

Chris Oliver, Jack Dawe, Adam Hunter, Roy Osborne and Braydn Reilly were best for Tantanoola.

KALANGADOO 16.7 (103) d MOUNT BURR 4.5 (29)

Kalangadoo turned a seven-point deficit into a 74-point win against Mount Burr after piling on the points in the second term and never looking back from there.

Mount Burr led after the opening term, but could manage just one more major score for the remainder of the game.

The Magpies kicked away in the second term to hold a decisive 31-point lead at the main break, before again holding sway in the third term to assert their authority.

Mount Burr did manage a goal in the third quarter – and a couple of behinds – but the final quarter was all black and white.

Kalangadoo put on six major scores to finish the game in style and remain undefeated after two games.

Up forward Ben Mules was on target with four goals for the victors, while Michael Krieger and Tom Searle kicked three each.

Jack Gregory was the only multiple goal kicker for Mount Burr with three goals to his name.

Mitch Lowe, Nathan Reeves, Tye McManus, Matthew Fatchen, Ben Gregory and Jon Mules were named best for the victors.

It was the Wallis show in the best players for Mount Burr, with Sam Wallis best, followed by Taylor Allen, James Wallis, Josh Wallis, Jack Muhovics and Brad Scott.

KONGORONG 19.17 (131) d NANGWARRY 9.6 (60)

Nangwarry put in a much better account of itself against Kongorong, but still could not close down the dangerous Cameron Sandercock up forward for Kongorong.

Sandercock had a day out, with 10 major scores which put any hope of a win for Nangwarry to bed.

The Saints trailed by just 10 points after the opening term, but the game soon began to get away in the second quarter, as Sandercock and the Hawks went to work.

By the long break the margin had crept out to 33 points and Nangwarry was on the back foot.

Kongorong continued to apply the blowtorch in the third quarter, with five major scores to Nangwarry’s two, but the Saints fought back late, despite the big margin.

The managed to kick four goals in the final stanza, but again the Hawks found their range in front of goals, with a further six to ice the game.

Donald Pochec-Gordon and Matt Cordy added two goals each to Sandercock’s efforts for Kongorong, while Craig Lock was the only multiple goal scorer for Nangwarry with two majors.