Fight on hold

ON HOLD: Sam Dwyer has had to postpone his boxing championships for the second time in 2020 due to coronavirus restrictions.

By Trevor Jackson

DWYERS Boxing Gym had to make the tough call last week to postpone its championships for the second time this year due to the COVID-19 restrictions recently placed on the state.

The South Australian government closed down all sport last week until December 1 and despite the December 5 date for the championships falling outside the time frame, the gym stated the health and safety of the community took precedence.

Gym owner Sam Dwyer said it was a disappointing outcome but in the middle of a pandemic it was hard to plan the event.

“The first time around was a bit of a surprise – we weren’t prepared for it,” he said.

“This time with everything going on there were a whole bunch of contingent factor, which is why we left it so late to postpone.”

One of those factors was whether or not the Victorian boxers could cross the border to compete in an event touted as SA v Victoria.

“It looked for a few days like we could get the fighters across the border,” Dwyer said.

“Then obviously to be able to run the event safely was a factor.

“I thought we were in the clear and I don’t think anyone really expected this to happen.”

The championships have not been cancelled, but simply postponed, which leaves a window for early next year to run the night.

That will depend largely on Boxing SA as to space on the 2021 calendar, but Dwyer is hopeful it can go ahead early in the year.

“Because it is a Boxing SA sanctioned event we have to wait for them to do their calendar,” he said.

“They will want to do state titles and they have events from this year such as club championships they have to organise.

“Hopefully we can do it in the first or early in the second quarter.”

While the Victorian fighters may still be stifled by border restrictions, Dwyer said that would not effect the night too much, with plenty of support from South Australia to run an exciting event.