By Trevor Jackson
THE unfortunate news came this week all sport in the state is currently on hold for two weeks while the latest COVID-19 outbreak is monitored in Adelaide.
It seems along way from the Limestone Coast but it is a government order and must be adhered to.
Baseball, tennis, bowls, basketball – and the list goes on – are all obviously affected by the latest shut down.
For the Borderline Speedway it is a real blow, after last season was cut short and the opening event of 2020-21 – which was set to take place on Saturday, November 28 – has now been cancelled.
According to club president Cary Jennings there was plenty of interest from the speedway fraternity, with drivers and supporters all keen to kick the season off with a bang.
He said despite the close down he still remained positive about the season ahead.
“We might talk to some other tracks and groups and we might be able to do something in December,” he said.
“I know Murray Bridge is running on the fifth, so we might be able to do something on the 12th.
“I just have to talk to these groups and see if they will support us.”
Jennings said with doubt about the South Australian/Victorian border opening in December it left the club in limbo.
“It is disappointing,” he said.
“We have been working hard on COVID management plans and all the little things haven’t fallen into place, but we are still positive.
“We will get something happening this season.”
Meanwhile the annual Mount Gambier Basketball Association’s junior tournament was set down for this weekend.
The association has looked to reschedule its tournament rather than cancel it altogether, with February 13-14 the new tentative dates.
Matt Sutton said more than 100 teams were set to compete this weekend but the association would now wait to gather further information and responses from other associations regarding the new dates.
“We were pretty pumped about the tournament (until Monday),” he said.
“We are doing our best and we will get all the information we can and move on it from there.”
For Mount Gambier baseball president Michael Summers it is all a bit of deja vu.
He took over the top job for the Western Border Football League last season, which was shut down before it could begin.
He now faces a similar scenario with baseball, having taken on the presidency this season.
The last season was cut short due to the coronavirus and Summers said the league would now suspend games for two weeks, in line with orders coming from Baseball SA.
However, with a bye this weekend already scheduled for the league, there may be just one round lost.
“Baseball SA has put out a statement to say they are suspending all baseball for two weeks,” Summers said.
“We have to follow those directives, so with the bye we will miss one week at this stage.”
With his WBFL president’s hat on, Summers said the current restrictions may also effect some football teams in the region, with any pre-season training also suspended.
Cricket has completed just two rounds in the Hoggies Wines Barber Shield competition with some interesting results so far.
The competition was set to start its first two-day game tomorrow, after the opening two rounds were one-day fixtures.
That has now been suspended, while Round 4 is set down for December 5 and 12 should restrictions be lifted.
All other sports are affected, so for further information contact your club directly.