Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomePoliceBail sought for man accused of shooting at Mount Gambier house

Bail sought for man accused of shooting at Mount Gambier house

THE case against a man accused of firing several gunshots at a Mount Gambier home, which had seven children inside at the time, continues to weaken, the defence counsel has argued.

Zac Thorp-Millard, 26, appeared via video-link in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court on Monday for a committal hearing, charged with discharging a firearm with intent to cause injury, annoy or frighten a person, two counts of endangering life, aggravated possession of a firearm and other firearms offences.

It is alleged Thorp-Millard was involved in the February 23 shooting on Olinda Street on Mount Gambier’s eastern fringe.

Several shots were fired at a residential address around 5.30am, with a red Holden Commodore sedan seen leaving the cul de sac a short time after.

A car in the street was marked with bullet holes.

Prosecution said another drive-by shooting allegedly occurred at the same address on February 24 at 11.40am, which is thought to have involved the same vehicle.

“Two occupants heard a V8-type car and went to the front of the house,” he said.

“They saw a red Commodore make a u-turn adjacent to the house and speed off.”

The court heard the residents had seen the same vehicle on both occasions and on the second occasion three people were seen in the vehicle.

“On the second occasion, eye-witnesses said they saw the defendant with his arm outside the vehicle holding a handgun,” the prosecution said.

In the hearing earlier this year, prosecution revealed the residential address was occupied by seven children aged between 18 months and 18 years.

“They are all believed to be being looked after by the occupants,” the prosecution said.

“The eye-witnesses are fearful for their lives given what has happened.”

Prosecution argued the case against Thorp-Millard was strong, but Magistrate Panagiotidis questioned the reliability of the two eye-witnesses.

Claiming submissions featured multiple discrepancies with eye-witnesses and arguing the case was largely based on retribution, Thorp-Millard’s defence counsel said the case was considerably weak and destined for trial.

In Monday’s hearing, an application for bail was put forward by defence counsel and will be discussed in court tomorrow.

“The case is weaker than what it was on the first appearance,” defence counsel said.

The matter will resume in court tomorrow.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...