Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomePoliceTruckie fined after dashcam captures terrifying close call

Truckie fined after dashcam captures terrifying close call

A BORDERTOWN truck driver who attempted to overtake another truck on the Augusta Highway, causing an oncoming car to swerve onto the shoulder of the road, has lost his licence for 15 months and been fined $1000.

Jason Leigh Bartlett, 45, appeared in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court last week to be sentenced for dangerous driving and overtaking a vehicle when it was not safe to do so.

The prosecution said Bartlett was driving a truck on the Augusta Highway, which has a speed limit of 100kph, at around 8.30am on June 6 when he attempted to overtake another vehicle.

When the defendant’s truck was halfway past the other truck, he noticed a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction.

The oncoming vehicle was forced to move his car off the road at high speed to avoid a head-on collision.

Defence counsel for Bartlett said the defendant did not see the oncoming vehicle when he chose to overtake.

She claimed her client used the radio to try and ask the truck in front if there was any oncoming traffic and did not receive a response.

Bartlett then pulled out and did not see any oncoming vehicles so conducted an overtaking manoeuvre.

He suggested the oncoming vehicle must have blurred into the background.

Magistrate Teresa Anderson said that was speculative and it was unlikely he would not have been able to see the car.

“If it was not for the actions of the man driving the other vehicle in getting his car off the road, it would have been a disaster,” Magistrate Anderson said.

“You were driving a lethal weapon and forced the evasive action of another driver.”

The court heard Bartlett lost his job with the trucking company following the incident, despite being a truck driver for a number of years.

The truck was branded with Garden Grove, a garden supplies business based in the northeastern suburbs of Adelaide.

Dash cam footage posted on Facebook by the other driver attracted 92,000 views and made headlines earlier this year, which forced the company to take action.

Garden Grove released a statement the day after the footage emerged, apologising to the public.

“We understand the dangerous potential of this situation and are extremely grateful for the actions of the other driver to ensure no one was hurt,” the statement said.

“We assure you of our commitment to safety and that appropriate action is being taken.

“We apologise to the community over the bad experience with one of our vehicles.”

Magistrate Anderson said she had considered imprisonment for the offending, however decided a substantial fine and licence disqualification was appropriate.

Bartlett was convicted of dangerous driving, fined $1000 and disqualified from driving for 15 months.

He will also be required to pay court costs.

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...