Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews ExtraDisability service closure concerns raised

Disability service closure concerns raised

TWO of the region’s political leaders have expressed concern for disadvantaged members of the community following today’s closure of the city’s Disability SA volunteer service.

Independent MP Troy Bell and Grant District Mayor Richard Sage said termination of the service, which provides respite for people with disability via specialist services, was disappointing.

Mr Sage said State Government funds go towards lease of the building and employment of one staff member.

“It is not a big cost for 50 or 60 clients a week,” he said.

The service has been in operation in Mount Gambier since 2004 and sees around 50 clients a week from locations around the South East.

A Department of Human Services spokesperson said delivery of disability services was changing due to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

The State Government will no longer be a service provider, with people instead receiving services from NDIS partners in the community, such as Mission Australia in Mount Gambier and the non-government sector, providing more choice.

“The NDIS does not provide funding for volunteer coordination – instead, people with disability receive funding for reasonable and necessary supports, including many of the supports volunteers have previously been delivering, such as transport and recreation,” the spokesperson said.

“The government-run Mount Gambier Volunteer Activity Centre will therefore close this weekend when the lease expires.”

Of the 25 clients who use the service, 21 are already on the NDIS.

The remaining four have been referred to the Department of Human Services’ Mount Gambier regional office (Disability SA).

This office will remain until all clients have alternative services and volunteers have been given information about other organisations where their time would be valuable.

Mr Bell said constituents had raised concerns about the reduction of frontline and auxiliary services as a result of the transition to the scheme.

“It is in this transition period where local and valuable services are going to be lost because the NDIS has not picked it up yet,” he said.

“I lobbied the Labor State Government to extend the contract for six months before the NDIS became operational and after the election I was hopeful the Liberal State Government would extend the contract.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...