Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews ExtraBeach plant funding boost

Beach plant funding boost

GAS could soon be processed in the region with announcements of funding to a major state company this week.

With many campaigners in the region against any gas related activity in Limestone Coast, there has been much backlash to the announcement.

Regional  petroleum giant Beach Energy will receive a multi-million-dollar windfall from the Federal Government to construct a new $22.6m gas processing plant north of Mount Gambier.

The $6m federal “gas acceleration” grant will help Beach pay for the construction of the new Katnook Gas Processing Facility.

It is understood the state-of-the-art new gas plant will have the potential to process up to 10 terajoules per day of gas from the conventional Haselgrove-3 discovery well.

The federal cash splash follows Beach pocketing $13m from the former Labor state government to drive gas production and exploration projects in the Penola/Nangwarry district.

The current mothballed Katnook gas plant is not up to standard to process gas.

A spokesperson from Beach Energy yesterday welcomed the announcement.

“Beach welcomes the funding commitment from the Commonwealth Government as we look to develop natural gas supplies for the region in a safe and sustainable manner,” the spokesperson said.

According to the government, the project will “accelerate” supply to the Limestone Coast market and help facilitate exploration of other targets in the region.

But yesterday’s announcement triggered a backlash from the region’s anti-gas mining fraternity, which described the grant as “corporate welfare”.

Limestone Coast Protection Alliance co-chair Angus Ralton yesterday slammed the decision, describing it as “complete madness”.

“I am pretty angry about this,” Mr Ralton said.

“Federal Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg has recently announced two battery projects for regional Victoria, but all we are getting in the Limestone Coast is fossil fuel.”

He called on the government to consider backing storage battery solutions for wind farms as well as solar farm projects for the region.

“This would mean they would get more bang for their buck in the long term,” he said.

Mr Ralton said gas plants had only a limited life, but renewable energy sources were “forever”.

“There are also more jobs in the renewable energy sector,” he said.

He said the Limestone Coast had been “landed” with gas projects the community did not want apart from a “few interest groups”.

The Federal Government yesterday announced the four projects funded across Australia would collectively receive $26m.

Resources Minister Matt Canavan said the projects would supply an extra 12.4 petajoules of new gas to the East Coast market by June 30, 2020, and an extra 27.6 petajoules over five years.

He said this extra supply would help safeguard Australia’s future gas security.

“Gas is vital to Australia’s energy security as a fuel, as a feedstock for industry and as a source of energy generation,” Mr Canavan said.

“We must continue to invest in the gas sector to ensure a secure, reliable and affordable gas supply. Bringing more gas to market will help Australian businesses remain competitive, create more jobs and reduce cost of living pressures on all Australians.”

Mr Canavan said the gas resources could be accessed in a responsible and balanced way, using the best available science.

“I encourage all states and territories with limitations on gas projects to rethink their blanket bans,” he said.

“The Gas Acceleration Program (GAP) is fast tracking projects with the best prospects of bringing significant new gas volumes to target markets by mid-2020.

“The GAP is a significant component of the Australian Government’s $90m investment in gas security, reliability and affordability for Australian gas users.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...