Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews ExtraWattle Range wish list

Wattle Range wish list

WATTLE Range Council is hoping a lengthy wish list to political candidates will improve its chances of securing funding for key priority projects ahead of the state election.

Millions of dollars have been asked for in council’s “Ask of Government” document which highlights 21 specific project requests and costs for consideration by political parties and independent candidates.

Among the priorities identified are a return of obstetrics and oncology at the Millicent hospital, completion of the Penola Bypass and road infrastructure upgrades.

The document calls for a reduction in the solid waste and Natural Resources Management levies and a pledge to oppose rate capping on South Australian councils.

Council is also seeking a State Government contribution to a $200,000 tourism campaign focused on Coonawarra and the region’s coastal areas, as well as a contribution to a $600,000 Coonawarra-based trail.

Wattle Range Mayor Peter Gandolfi said the document addressed a number of issues that had been identified by council and members of the community as priorities.

“Over time there has been representation made to council about the issues and we have clearly identified them to candidates in our council area,” he said.

“We want strong, tangible funding commitments for the region, not vague, global pledges that do not identify specific projects.

“We have had many years of neglect by State Government and it is only appropriate we highlight these issues in the lead-up to the state election.

“What we are asking for is a drop in the ocean and is achievable when you compare pledges made for metropolitan Adelaide.”

Mr Gandolfi said one of the major issues of concern was the removal of obstetrics from Millicent hospital.

“You cannot do it overnight because you need to build the skill base we had,” he said.

“There needs to be a well thought out strategy to reinstate obstetrics at the hospital.

“There needs to be a will frome the State Government for it to happen otherwise we will not see it return to the hospital.

“It takes years to build such a service and it can be destroyed overnight, which Country Health has done.

“We know there’s been emergency births here since they removed obstetrics.

“High risk births are not going to take place here, but certainly we would want to at least return to the service we previously had.”

Shoulder widening and truck stops on the Millicent to Kingston stretch of the Princes Highway and renewal works on Southern Ports Highway and the Mount Burr Road are earmarked as regional infrastructure priorities.

“The Millicent to Kingston stretch of road desperately needs shoulder sealing and it is substandard when it comes to its condition,” he said.

“It is a major freight and tourism route and desperately needs an upgrade.”

Mr Gandolfi said since the document was endorsed by council, the issue regarding the future of the Kalangadoo Police Station had been highlighted as another State Government issue.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...