Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews ExtraHospital capacity furore

Hospital capacity furore

MOUNT Gambier Hospital management has categorically rejected allegations an elderly patient was unable to access a bed yesterday afternoon because the facility was full.

The Border Watch was contacted late yesterday by a man – who did not want to be publicly named – who claimed an elderly family member had been denied a bed.

The family expressed disgust at the situation and yesterday called for answers given they believed the facility was taking patient transfers from metropolitan health centres at the expense of local
residents.

This claim coincides with a person claiming to be a staff member also contacting this newspaper yesterday and stating the medical workers were being pressured to do “double-shifts and overtime” because of workforce shortages.

These claims follow The Border Watch this week publishing claims by a key state medical workforce union that 10 more nurses are needed each week in the hospital’s medical wards.

Country Health SA regional director Jayne Downs rejected any allegations a patient was turned away yesterday and dismissed claims the facility had reached capacity.

“Any allegation that a patient has been turned away from the Mount Gambier District Health Service is completely false,” Ms Downs said.

“Any patient that requires urgent care is always seen immediately, while others are often able to be assessed, treated and discharged home as their presentation is not serious enough to require admission.”

She said patients who lived in other areas of the South East were transferred to the hospital closest to their home when appropriate.

“Our hospital staff work incredibly hard to see patients as soon as possible, however during periods of high numbers of presentations, there can be some delays,” Ms Downs said.

Ms Downs earlier this week also rejected claims more nurses needed to be employed in the medical wards and the new Royal Adelaide Hospital transfer was putting pressure on the hospital.

The SA Salaried Medical Officers Association – which represents doctors at the hospital – this week questioned whether the hospital should take any overflow from the Royal Adelaide Hospital transfer because of enduring workforce recruitment issues.

“During the new Royal Adelaide Hospital ramp down period there was no significant change to the number of patients transferred from Adelaide hospitals to Mount Gambier Hospital,” Ms Downs said.

She said typically up to 18 patients per month were transferred from Adelaide hospitals to Mount Gambier Hospital to receive ongoing care prior to their discharge home and these patients were residents of Mount Gambier or surrounding areas.

“The new Royal Adelaide Hospital is the flagship hospital for all South Australians, not just Adelaide residents, and every day at the new RAH a large number of country patients will be receiving world-class care in the new state-of-the-art facilities.”

At any given time around 17pc of patients in Adelaide hospitals are from country areas.

Regarding the call by the SA Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF) for 10 additional nurses each week, Ms Downs said the hospital was appropriately staffed.

“We have more than 300 nurses caring for patients in Mount Gambier Hospital and while we understand the ANMF would like even more nurses, we believe we have the right number of nursing staff who provide high quality and safe care to the community.,” Ms Downs said.

“Each of our wards are staffed appropriately in line with the Nursing Midwifery Enterprise Agreement and while we don’t believe there is a shortfall of nurses, we will, as always, work with the ANMF to understand any concerns they may have.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...