More ‘street brawl’ arrests likely

POLICE yesterday confirmed more arrests were likely as their investigation into the Mount Gambier street brawl murder of Rex Court gained significant momentum.

More than 50 phone calls have been lodged with Crime Stoppers and a wide range of evidence is being evaluated by detectives, including close circuit television footage, statements and forensic evidence.

Described by Major Crime Investigation Branch Detective Senior Sergeant Mark McEachern as “a sustained assault involving a significant degree of violence”, the attack left the 32-year-old Bordertown father of three with severe head injuries on Commercial Street East on May 13.

“This was not a one-punch-fall-and-hit-your-head assault,” Sr Sgt McEachern said.

“We know who were involved, and are now evaluating the evidence against each individual.

“I urge anyone who was involved in the incident to consider their options and come forward to give their version of what happened – especially if they believe they did nothing wrong.

“There will be those who had no involvement and were bystanders or even those who were trying to break up the fight.

“This was a chaotic scene, and we are only three weeks into the investigation, but I have no doubt we will establish exactly what happened,” he said.

A 15-year-old boy from Mount Gambier has been charged with murder in connection with the incident which occurred at around 9pm.

He appeared in the Adelaide Youth Court at the end of May where he was released on strict home detention bail to appear again on June 30.

According to police three men, including the deceased initially engaged in an amicable conversation with a group of between 13 and 15 youths.

The conversation escalated into a fight with a Ford Territory containing several others arriving at the scene making the altercation increasingly violent.

Police are investigating whether the occupants of the Ford were called to the area by the group of youths or whether their arrival was a chance meeting.

Afterwards people from a nearby hotel assisted the victims of which two were unconscious.

Mr Court died as a result of his injuries.

Sr Sgt McEachern reiterated an earlier warning that investigators are monitoring social media and will take action against anyone making threats or attempting to intimidate others.

“These youths and their parents should bear in mind that this investigation is far from over,” he said.

“This is a really significant investigation into an incident which has left this man’s loving family devastated.

“They deserve some answers and we anticipate further arrests.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report online at