Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsThieves target Penola business

Thieves target Penola business

Merrett Logging Theft 2 TBW Newsgroup
THEFT CAPTURED: Merrett Logging has captured a thief stealing $6000 worth of tools from the logging company in the early hours of June 28.

A MAJOR Penola employer has expressed frustration and disappointment after recently being targeted by thieves who stole around $6000 worth of tools from its premises.

The pursuit of justice led Merrett Logging to post about the incident on social media late last week, with security camera footage showing a silver Holden sedan with distinctive paintwork on the property in the early hours of June 28, with two men stealing tools from three vehicles.

Among the stolen items were a portable welder, power tools and a socket set.

A truck driver entered the property around 15 minutes after the theft noticed the toolboxes were left open and alerted management.

Merrett Logging haulage manager Adam Merrett said the theft had been reported to police, with SAPOL issuing a public statement late Monday.

He said the theft was a source of frustration for staff members and the broader community.

“We have had trouble similar to this in the past hence the security cameras,” Mr Merrett said.

“It is a lot of money for us at the moment and nobody has spare cash due to these times, forcing us to go through insurance.”

Mr Merrett said staff could not comprehend why the theft occurred or why the business was targeted.

“It is very frustrating and we put the video out there on social media thinking someone may be able to assist and just letting the community know it has happened,” he said.

“It is hard to speculate why someone would do this but we cannot assume and now need to wait for the police to do their job.”

Mr Merrett said staff had previously spoken about building high fences and gates to help improve security, but found the project costly.

“Unfortunately it may be something we need to look into now,” he said.

Despite the setback, Mr Merrett said the company had been able to get by during the COVID-19 pandemic despite impacts to the blue gum sector.

“The pine industry has remained well and we have had to redeploy a lot of staff skill sets but have not had to lay anyone off,” he said.

“We have tried to keep our employees employed and working with them throughout this which we will hopefully see the other side of.

“Everyone is doing it tough at the moment and we would hope people would put a hand out rather than help themselves but unfortunately we are in different times.”

SAPOL released a statement Monday night appealing for information from the public.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Penola Police Station on 8737 2315 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...