Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCouncil inches closer to rec hub deal

Council inches closer to rec hub deal

Sodturning(3)2019 2 88075 TBW Newsgroup
BUILD DELAYS: Member for Mount Gambier Troy Bell (left) and Member for Barker Tony Pasin (right) joined elected members Kate Amoroso, Frank Morello, Ben Hood, Mayor Lynette Martin and Sonya Mezinec in April last year to turn the first sod at the site for the new Community and Recreation Hub. Picture: TODD LEWIS

A THOROUGH update on the timeline and cost for Mount Gambier City Council’s landmark $39.1m Community and Recreation Hub project is expected to be released this month.

Council convened a special council meeting on ednesday night to consider selection of a head contractor for the generational investment, foreshadowing an announcement in weeks as negotiations with a selected tenderer continue.

Council chief executive Andrew Meddle thanked the community for its patience throughout the project’s procurement stage.

“Council appreciates the community is eager to receive an update on the Community and Recreation Hub and the tender evaluation team have been working hard over many months to ensure the procurement process is not compromised,” Mr Meddle said.

“Following the conclusion of the tender process and once a contract has been entered into, council will be in a position to provide the community with a thorough update regarding the project timeframes and cost.”

The update follows more than a year of speculation about the project, after councillors joined Member for Mount Gambier Troy Bell and Member for Barker Tony Pasin in turning the first sod back in April last year.

At that time Mayor Lynette Martin indicated the community would not see any major construction works start at the location “for a few months”.

However, it was not until September when six expressions of interest for the build were received from major construction companies.

The tender process then started in late November, with Mr Meddle indicating it would be completed by the end of January with construction to follow shortly after.

However, the tender process was extended, with a briefing about the project expected to be provided to elected members at the end of March.

The procurement stage was delayed further when the COVID-19 pandemic was declared with council shifting its focus to responding to the community’s needs.

“Inevitable delays” followed due to the scale and complexity of the project, which was further hindered by COVID-19.

Mr Meddle said in a council meeting last week the schedule for the build remained on track for the end of 2021 if a contract was entered into by July 16.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...