Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsSchools get back to normal after testing times

Schools get back to normal after testing times

Maia Naismith, Piper Storck 1 TBW Newsgroup
READY TO ROCK AND ROLL: Grant High School Year 11 students Maia Naismith and Piper Storck. Picture: FAITH MONGER

LIMESTONE Coast students will soon be able to attend school assemblies, class photographs and intrastate excursions with COVID-19 restrictions expected to be lifted across education facilities at the end of the month.

Restrictions on school activities will be lifted from June 29, paving the way for Term 3 to return to normal for many South Australian students.

Parents, volunteers, departmental support and other service providers will also be able to enter school and preschool grounds again, provided health advice is followed.

There will also be no cap on the number of people in one room, however the one person per four-square metre requirement will need to be followed by adults.

Welcoming the news, Grant High School principal Fleur Roachock said some current measures would be retained.

She said there had been recent discussion surrounding the facility’s annual school formal and Year 12 graduation, which would look slightly different this year.

“It is interesting, because some things school will be able to do, still do not fit in with expectations of what the community is allowed to do,” she said.

“While the department has said we can go ahead with particular things, we are still limited. Venues are not able to allow us in because they do not operate under the same rules as us.

“We do not have to follow social distancing rules here, but would if we went to another site.”

Ms Roachock said students had recently been on outdoor education camps while following COVID-19 restriction guidelines.

“We plan to make up for what sports events were missed during Term 2 by having some single day daytime carnivals,” she said.

“We will not be sending any young people away to Adelaide for finals, other than hockey, which is where we tend to do very well.”

Despite being given leeway to lift restrictions, Ms Roachock said it remained at individual schools’ discretion.

“On the surface it looks pretty good, but we are still a bit constricted … We still need to keep everybody safe,” she said.

“Kids are certainly happier with a little bit more freedom and it is important they can burn some energy and get outside to do a few things.”

A silver lining of the COVID-19 crisis has been the introduction of online and remote learning strategies, which could be quickly rolled out again if an outbreak occurred.

“We are maintaining our online presence, which is helpful including the use of Google classroom, ready-made websites and other systems,” she said.

“Kids are being very adaptable and staff are amazing so I guess we get to be a patch of normality in a situation which has not at all been normal.”

The restrictions have been extra challenging for Year 7 students preparing the transition to high school.

Tours and programs introducing them to the senior school environment have been cancelled, along with key events marking their final year of primary school.

Melaleuca Park Primary School students yesterday expressed their disappointment at missing out on things such as Pedal Prix, school sporting events, school assemblies and other major events during their final year of primary school.

“It is a bit annoying because it is always fun to try new things,” student leader Brody said.

“We had already began and getting stuck into preparing for Sports Day, but that got cut short because of COVID-19.”

Brody said a Blue Light disco, which was organised as reward for outstanding sun-safety in the primary school in Term 1, had to be cancelled.

“We were sad when that happened and everybody keeps asking me when it will happen again, but we will begin preparing for that again now.”

Education Minister John Gardner said it was the selfless dedication from public health officials which had made the lifting of restrictions possible across education facilities.

“The lifting of these restrictions will also provide a critical lifeline for many businesses who have been hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, such as those who are welcoming the return of intrastate school camps and excursions,” he said.

“I want to thank all our education staff who have done an exceptional job through this unprecedented time, providing true community leadership in supporting children and young people across South Australia.”

With all South Australian borders set to open on July 20, the Education Department will consult with SA Health regarding interstate school camps and provide further advice to schools.

Activities to resume at education sites from June 29:

School assemblies

Class photos

All intrastate camps and excursions

All school sport competitions, sports days and carnivals, including inter-school competitions

Inter-school choirs, bands and other performing arts activities

School formals, socials and discos

Playgroups and occasional care

Larger face-to-face professional learning activities

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...