Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsBorder boost welcomed in Millicent

Border boost welcomed in Millicent

Derek Two June 17 TBW Newsgroup
BORDERS BOOST: More custom is expected by Millicent Lakeside Caravan Park manager Derek Sparkes following the partial reopening of the state’s borders. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH

THE partial reopening of the South Australian borders has been welcomed by Millicent Lakeside Caravan Park manager Derek Sparkes.

Earlier this week, Premier Steven Marshall announced residents of Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory could enter South Australia without the need to selfisolate for a fortnight.

Mr Sparkes said the easing of the COVID-19 restriction was unlikely to have an immediate impact on the Park Terrace business.

“We get most of our interstate guests from the eastern states,” Mr Sparkes said.

“However, it will be good to see travellers again from WA.

“They usually make up about 15pc of our guests.

“They tend to stay here with us in Millicent and then head off along the Great Ocean Road.”

The occupancy levels at the Millicent Lakeside Caravan Park have fallen over the past three months owing to the COVID-19 travel restrictions.

Due to the downturn, the business was able to qualify for the Federal Government JobKeeper support for one of its employees.

There were mass cancellations at Easter after the three-day Geocache convention was postponed.

Mr Sparkes said there was a chance the Geocache event could be rescheduled.

“We have refunded all the booking deposits in recent months as we felt the COVID-19 virus is nobody’s fault,” he said.

“It is not as if people have just had a change of heart about their travel plans.

“Our park is currently at about 10pc occupancy and this is better than at the same time as last year.

“People are tending to travel within SA.

“We also have people at the park who are bunkering down in Millicent and avoiding the capital cities.”

Mr Sparkes and his family have also operated the adjacent Lakeside Café for the past five years.

He said the sales of homedelivered takeaway food had been strong through the COVID-19 period.

As part of the COVID-19 protocols in public places, certain hygiene measures are in force at the Lakeside café and caravan park.

Mr Marshall said the new border arrangements were in effect from midnight on Tuesday.

“The borders of Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory remain closed to all interstate travellers at this stage, meaning South Australians travelling to those states are still required to quarantine,” he said.

“We are continuing to review the restrictions and do not want to keep our borders closed for one day longer than we have to.

“Rest assured the health and safety of South Australians remains our priority.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...