Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCity lights decision deferred

City lights decision deferred

Paul Jenner Street Lights 2 TBW Newsgroup
LIGHT IT UP: Elected member Paul Jenner has been a strong advocate for the replacement of street lights with LEDs after representing council on the statewide initiative. Picture: TODD LEWIS

Mount Gambier City Council has deferred a decision to replace the city’s network of high intensity discharge street lights with LED luminaries, which would lead to an estimated annual saving of $200,000.

The $1m project would replace around 2350 lights across the Blue Lake city with the LED luminaries, with an expected return on investment within five years.

In a report tabled at Tuesday night’s full council meeting, the million-dollar outlay would be paid back in five years given the cost to operate and maintain the new system would be $200,000 less annually.

Council infrastructure general manager Nick Serle said a move to LED luminaries would result in several other benefits for the city.

“LEDs are more energy efficient council’s energy consumption and carbon footprint would therefore be considerably reduced,” Mr Serle said in the report.

“LEDs have a longer expected life than HID lamps.”

Alongside Mr Serle and Cr Kate Amoroso, Cr Paul Jenner has represented council on the statewide initiative, which has already been endorsed by other South Australian councils.

“We had a meeting last Friday and all the dollars and cents have been ticked off by the national regulator and I think there are some 20 councils that have already signed up to it since then,” Cr Jenner said.

Putting forward an amendment on Tuesday night, Cr Steven Perryman suggested council adopt installation of the lights immediately and allow the cost to be included in this year’s budget.

“I just do not understand why this needs to go to a workshop and why we cannot adopt it and incorporate it in this year’s budget,” he said.

“It seems to me that it is a common sense business decision to put it in the budget, provide the $1m required and get the $200,000 per year benefit straight away.”

Cr Sonya Mezinec said she felt it had been some time since it had been discussed in detail and believed a workshop was prudent.

“While at this point we are talking about the initial $1m, my understanding is this is stage one of the process, so I’d be interested in having an update and discuss the whole issue in a workshop, not just this initial expenditure,” Ms Mezinec said.

Alleviating Cr Mezinec’s concerns, Cr Jenner assured the chamber there was only one stage of the project.

Despite this, the amendment still received a tied vote from elected members with Mayor Lynette Martin casting the deciding vote against.

Cr Kate Amoroso attempted to call a division on the vote, however Ms Martin did not recognise her raised hand until after the period to call a division had elapsed.

Elected members will now hold a workshop on the lighting project.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...