Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsFisheries seizes lobster pots

Fisheries seizes lobster pots

Fisheries One TBW Newsgroup
IN HOT WATER: Seven lobster pots were seized by PIRSA fisheries compliance officers when they were on patrol at Beachport last week. Picture: HEATHER BURDON

PIRSA fisheries compliance officers conducted a coastal patrol from Beachport to Southend on Wednesday and seven lobster pots were located and seized.

The officers had launched a twin-engined boat from the recreational boat ramp at Beachport.

With the annual closure of all recreational rock lobster fishing activity in South Australia in effect since the end of May, PIRSA reminded fishers who had not removed pots from the water before the closure they could now face fines along with the seizure of their pots.

PIRSA Fisheries spokesman Gavin Begg said it was disappointing to see fishers had not removed their pots from Rivoli Bay before the closure.

“These closures protect the long-term sustainability of the rock lobster fishery across the state and ensure the recreational fishery operates within its allocated share of the resource,” Mr Begg said.

“Fisheries officers will continue to conduct patrols in coastal waters throughout the closed season.

“If lobster pots are found in the water during the closed season. the owners risk being fined and having their pots seized.”

The annual closure bans all recreational lobster fishing activity in South Australian waters and will apply in the Southern Zone – which includes South East waters – until 6am on October 1 and in the Northern Zone until midday on November 1.

If seized pots are unclaimed, they are forfeited to the Crown and it is customary to be offered for sale at a public auction.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...