Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsWattle Range office on agenda

Wattle Range office on agenda

WATTLE Range Council will spend $165,000 on plans to upgrade its Millicent office if the draft 2020/21 business plan and budget is adopted.

The proposed allocation for design and development for the construction of a new council office building is one of 21 capital projects under the engineering services department’s budget for 2020/21.

Council previously allocated $50,000 towards the development of concept plans for a new facility at the Millicent and District Community Club, but was forced to abandon them after the building was sold.

The new budget allocation will provide plans for building on one of three sites – Apex Park, Jubilee Park or the North Terrace netball courts.

Council chief executive Ben Gower said the upgrade was essential due to the ageing facility, adding diligent planning was crucial in safeguarding against cost blowouts in the construction stage.

“Project management 101 will plan, plan, plan, because that is where projects can go off the rail very quickly,” he said.

“To be able to put this to tender and let its run its course with the right outcome and the right costing, it is important to get the design elements right.”

However, Mr Gower would not comment on whether the new council offices would be constructed at a higher or lower cost than the previous budgeted $3.5m figure, which was agreed on by elected members at the March monthly meeting.

He said the budgeted figure was based on rough square meterage and would need to be refined once cost estimates had been received.

“It is a large sum of money, but the building we are in is knackered,” Mr Gower said.

“We looked at extending the current facility and that was a couple of million just for renovations.

“Council staff are spread across four sites and I have had to remove people from the building to ensure we adhere to the one person per four square metre rule.

“The new office will consolidate everyone under one roof, it will be able to last the next 75 to 100 years and we will design it with an ability to extend it later on if need be.”

Mr Gower said the construction would form part of a council-led infrastructure stimulus package aimed at jumpstarting the local economy during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“All the advice we are getting at the moment from the State and Federal Government is if you have cash reserves and the ability to borrow, now is they time to be investing back into the local economy,” he said.

“Infrastrcutre such as this one, along with playgrounds and roads, will generate work for our local tradies, which provides benefits for the community as they eat at our pubs, get coffees from our cafes and reinvest in the community.

“If they are from out of town, they will be staying at nearby accommodation and spending in the main street.

“This is a project which will generate jobs.”

Public consultation on the draft budget will close at 5pm on June 5.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...