Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsHotel industry left 'bleeding money'

Hotel industry left ‘bleeding money’

Linda Boylan 2 (1) TBW Newsgroup
LET US OPEN: South Eastern Hotel manager Linda Boylan stands in the South Eastern Hotel dining room. Picture: SANDRA MORELLO

A REGIONAL hotel industry leader says publicans are gutted they cannot open their indoor dining rooms given the sector is “bleeding money”.

While restaurants and cafes can open their indoor dining rooms tomorrow, the locks will remain on dining rooms at hotels.

The State Government yesterday announced hotels will open on June 5, which will allow them to trade over the June long weekend.

But government officials remain tight-lipped over how many people will be allowed in a hotel at any one time when stage two restrictions are eased.

The hotel sector is pushing for a 50 person limit when hotels reopen.

Veteran hotelier Guy Matthews – whose company owns a number of venues in Mount Gambier – said the industry was dissatisfied with yesterday’s announcement.

He said allowing cafes to open their dining areas and serve alcohol was not a “level playing field” for hotels.

“We are very disappointed with the attitude of the State Government and the officials who are telling them what to do,” Mr Matthews said.

“Cafes can have 10 people inside and 10 people outside and can serve alcohol, but we cannot have anybody. I cannot understand the logic of that decision.”

Mr Matthews estimated 150 people would be reinstated at Mount Gambier hotels if a maximum of 50 people were allowed to be seated in their dining rooms.

The hotel veteran – who is the South Eastern area councillor for the Australian Hotels Association SA – said the government had given no details about the reopening of hotels on June 5.

He warned a maximum of 50 people were needed to allow hotels to reopen.

“Hotels could hardly open for 20 people. Hotels are big buildings and will need to put on staff and chefs. They are bleeding money at the moment,” Mr Matthews said.

The hotel identity was also perplexed the State Government was encouraging regional travel when there were limited dining options for visitors.

“This is a contradiction. The government is saying regional areas are open for visitors, but on the other hand they are telling hotels they cannot open their dining rooms,” Mr Matthews added.

“We could see visitors come to Mount Gambier and nothing is open.”

Mr Matthews revealed he had been lobbying politicians “all week” to get the government to listen to the concerns of the hotel sector.

“The government does not have to listen to the people who are calling the shots.”

Meanwhile, Business SA has welcomed the State Government’s announcement easing of COVID-19 Stage 2 restrictions will be brought forward to June 5.

The peak industry body for all businesses said it was a win for common sense with businesses across a range of industries set to benefit from the long weekend.

Business SA chief executive Martin Haese said cafes, restaurants, retail stores and beauty salons would be among those who would capitalise on the three-day weekend of trading.

“We thoroughly commend the Premier for listening to input from Business SA and the broader business community to bring forward the start date for Stage 2 restrictions from the Queen’s Birthday public holiday on Monday, June 8 back to Friday, June 5,” Mr Haese said.

“This easing of restrictions is welcomed by Business SA who have been advocating for these changes and working closely with the hospitality sector and local Australian Hotels Association.”

But he said there were still much bigger issues at play, particularly around the four-square metre rule that would restrict venues to operate at 25pc capacity.

“This is also a win for our regions and should encourage more intrastate travel over the long weekend, which will benefit businesses in some of our smaller towns,” Mr Haese said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...