Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsMayor cleared to talk

Mayor cleared to talk

Richard Sage Photo TBW Newsgroup
BACK IN THE LIMELIGHT: Grant District Mayor Richard has been reinstated as the principal spokesperson of Grant District Council following a decision by elected members this week. Picture: SANDRA MORELLO

GRANT District Mayor Richard Sage has been reinstated as the council’s principal spokesperson after it was stripped from the civic leader six months ago.

While the decision by elected members was not unanimous, Mr Sage will regain his rights to speak with media regarding council matters.

But council will continue to hold a tight rein over Mr Sage given he will need to get the green light from executives before speaking with media.

The rural council was embroiled in a string of controversies last year amid allegations connected with code of conduct breaches.

The organisation formally adopted a cultural charter of agreed behaviours following independent consultants preparing a cultural review report.

Staff in the report described the organisation’s culture at that time as “toxic” and a place “gripped by infighting”.

At this week’s council meeting, chief executive officer Darryl Whicker urged elected members to review the constraints imposed on Mr Sage given the decision was determined on October 1 last year.

The council executive said staff felt they were the “meat in the sandwich” when it came to deciding who could speak with media.

He said there was a need to “take control” of media relations and council had achieved this.

Mr Whicker – who started in the position in late October – said it was time for elected members to consider whether Mr Sage should be reinstated as principal spokesperson.

“The principal spokesperson for council is default the mayor,” he said.

But he said the current situation was difficult given staff were constantly questioning whether the spokesperson should be the mayor, councillor or staff.

“We do not want to see the situation where the mayor or other councillors exercise their autonomous rights going to the media and saying ‘I’m not talking as mayor or as a councillor but as an individual’,” Mr Whicker said.

He said council had avoided this scenario in the past six months by elected members contacting council before any media engagements.

Mr Whicker said the current parameters made it difficult for staff to do their jobs.

“It is not an efficient approach … it makes us the meat in the sandwich and it has been long enough.”

Mr Sage said significant work had been achieved between himself and Mr Whicker navigating the road forward.

“A lot of work has been done about how we work forward … there has been a lot more work done in communicating with elected members to keep them informed,” he said.

Adding to discussion, Cr Jody Elliott said she felt “comfortable” returning Mr Sage as council’s principal spokesperson given press releases were being released by staff.

But she argued communication between Mr Whicker and the mayor should continue regarding any press statements.

She did not want a situation where an elected member could “spray” comments on any issues in the media.

“There still needs to be some control methods around that … we have worked hard to turn that around.”

But a number of councillors raised the need to also include elected members – with various expertise – in some press releases.

However, Crs Shirley Little and Megan Dukalskis urged council to maintain the status quo.

While Cr Dukalskis moved there should be no change until after the workshop on the cultural charter, this was lost.

Cr Little called for a voting division, the majority of elected members then voted to reinstate Mr Sage as principal spokesperson with consultation with Mr Whicker.

In the minutes of the Chief Executive Officer Recruitment, Performance and Remuneration Review Committee held in late April, the committee members raised the need to review and revisit the Charter of Agreed Behaviours.

“It was always the intent the charter be revisited and staff are also requesting this be the case,” the minutes said.

“Council needs to lead and resolve this issue so the organisation can heal. The committee recognised that some elements are no longer relevant and/or perhaps necessary and the council need to discuss and agree a way forward as a council and senior staff.

“It was also highlighted that elected members do not all adhere to the charter and that compromise is needed to move forward.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...