Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCouncil seeks funds for swim facility upgrades

Council seeks funds for swim facility upgrades

A SUPERSIZE water slide could be built at the Millicent swimming lake if an ambitious funding bid by Wattle Range Council is successful.

Council has put a ballpark figure of $1.2m on upgrading the concrete foundations as well as the water slide.

Engineering services director Peter Halton told Tuesday’s historic electronic council meeting the water slide would be similar to structures at other public swimming facilities.

Mr Halton was speaking in support of a staff recommendation to back the suggested lake upgrade, as well as 11 other community projects totalling $19.3m.

He said council needed to have several shovel-ready projects ready as he anticipated a number of financial stimulus packages would be flowing from the State and Federal Government in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic crisis.

According to Mr Halton, council needed to allocate $300,000 for design, costing and other preparatory work on the 12 projects as well as a commitment to fund up to 50pc of the capital costs.

The recommendations were debated and endorsed by a unanimous vote of the meeting.

Although he described the projects as “fantastic”, Councillor Peter Dunnicliff expressed reservations about the $300,000 funding allocation.

“It is over-the-top to spend $300,000 on the $20m worth of projects,” Cr Dunnicliff said.

“Perhaps the list could be trimmed,” Cr Dunnicliff said.

In reply, Mr Halton said the money would not be wasted as there was the capacity to leverage other government funds.

Chief executive Ben Gower said there had been clear and consistent messages from the Federal and State authorities about future funding schemes.

He said both tiers of government wanted to create jobs and stimulate the economy.

“Wattle Range has the cash reserves and there are low interest rates,” Mr Gower said.

Cr Sharon Cox said she doubted the council would qualify for a grant towards the suggested $3.6m needed for new council offices.

However, Mr Gower gave an optimistic reply.

“It is a different ball game,” Mr Gower said.

“Much of the design work for these projects has to outsourced.

“We have recently lost one of our design engineers and it is difficult to recruit them to regional areas.”

Cr John Drew lent his strong support to the staff recommendation.

“We have to be the first cab off the rank and beat the other councils,” Cr Drew said.

He pointed out the council had previously invested in two ill-fated projects for the sake of economic development around 20 years ago.

“We put money in to the Penola pulp mill and the [Teletrak] racecourse at Beachport and took a risk”.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...