Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsFree childcare to help Penola families through pandemic

Free childcare to help Penola families through pandemic

Mel Leibhardt And Ted TBW Newsgroup
CHILDCARE SUPPORT: McKay’s Children’s Centre worker Mel Leibhardt, pictured with Ted, has welcomed the Federal Government’s groundbreaking $1.6b free childcare program.

PENOLA and Coonawarra families will benefit from free childcare during the coronavirus pandemic as the Federal Government works to support essential jobs to keep the economy moving.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the groundbreaking $1.6b program earlier this month – which will provide support to Australia’s 13,000 childcare centres to remain open – and form part of a new childcare system.

The economic lifeline follows plummeting enrolments and attendance at childcare centres across the country, with parents withdrawing their children as a result of COVID-19.

McKay Children’s Centre director Olivia Thomas said the centre had been working hard to retain staff and provide essential childcare to families.

“In the short term and long term we are working hard to retain our staff so our service is not in jeopardy and parents can still utilise our service when needed,” she said.

“We are working through the implications for families and for us as a centre and have put in precautions such as additional cleaning hours and requirements to keep our staff and the children safe.

“We are open for families who require care.”

Mr Thomas despite the facility remaining open, a number of families had already decided to self-isolate.

“Carers are available for families who do not have the option to self-isolate and work in essential industries,” she said.

“It has impacted our service just like everyone else.”

Under the government’s plan, the government will pay half of the childcare’s revenue based on a period of time before parents started removing children from facilities in response to COVID-19.

The funding will apply to facilities from April 6 and will be based on the number of children who were in care at the centre before March 2 – regardless of whether or not they were attending.

The means and activity-testing of fee subsidies will be abolished while the new system is in place.

The changes will remain in place until June 28.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...