Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsMiscarriage awareness raised in documentary

Miscarriage awareness raised in documentary

Lyndal Redmanweb TBW Newsgroup
BREAKING TABOO: Former Southend resident Lyndal Redman has produced an online documentary series exploring the effects of miscarriages in society.

ALMOST a quarter of pregnancies end in miscarriage each year in Australia, but many of those losses remain a silent trauma for years to come.

Former Southend resident and documentary maker Lyndal Redman has produced an online documentary series aimed at shining a light on the stigma around miscarriage and provide a voice to the otherwise voiceless.

The series You Are Not Alone is a five-part, five-minute documentary series explores the loss and grief surrounding miscarriage and the impact it has on individuals and families.

Following the stories of those with firsthand experience, the series also features perspectives from obstetricians, researchers and support organisations.

It also focuses on isolation through miscarriage in some of the most remote regional areas of Australia.

After experiencing a miscarriage in 2017, Ms Redman filmmaker started developing the documentary.

“I was quite open about our loss and in talking to others I realised just how many women and their partners had been through the same thing, but did not talk about it.

“It’s still such a taboo subject.”

In May 2018, Ms Redman released a video in which she discussed her own journey, which was viewed more than 8000 times.

Ms Redman was inspired to tell the important personal stories of the men and women who reached out to her.

“We wanted to break down the stigma around miscarriage and hopefully allow both women and their partners the opportunity to be able to talk about their loss freely,” she said.

The series was recently successful in receiving funding from Screen Australia towards its production.

The all-female production crew includes Ms Redman as director/producer and producers Caroline Winter of the ABC and Lauren Hillman of Poh’s Kitchen, The Daters ABC.

“It has been two years developing the project and to have the backing of such an important funding body such as Screen Australia was truly amazing,” Ms Redman said.

The series will be released later in the year on Australia’s leading digital women’s network With Her In Mind Network.

Visit vimeo.com/383433273/90f88786ec to view the You Are Not Alone trailer.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

More News

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...