Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsProbe continues for Warneke death report

Probe continues for Warneke death report

Warneke Grave Landscape TBW Newsgroup
FINAL RESTING PLACE: Josh Warneke is buried at the Rendelsham cemetery.

POLICE are still to determine the exact circumstances of the violent death of former Millicent resident Josh Warneke at Broome a decade ago.

Tomorrow marks the 10th anniversary of his passing in the remote Western Australian fishing town.

Mr Warneke was found with extensive injuries on a roadside in the early hours of February 26, 2010.

The circumstances of the 21-year-old’s death has been the subject of extensive media coverage and it has been renewed as the anniversary approaches.

However, Western Australia police spokesperson Susan Usher has told The South Eastern Times there would be no comment on the latest media reports coming out of the state.

“I can advise the Western Australia Police Force is progressing a report for the Coroner,” Ms Usher said.

“As such, there will be no further comment on this matter at this time.”

Mr Warneke spent his formative years in Millicent, attended Millicent High School and graduated in 2006.

His grave is located in the Rendelsham Cemetery and is alongside his maternal great-grandparents.

Aspects of the police investigations and subsequent court hearings have regularly been in the headlines and screened on national television current affairs programs.

Several police initially involved in probing the circumstances of Mr Warneke’s death faced disciplinary action.

Officers had arrested Gene Gibson and charged him with murder.

However, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Hall subsequently ruled much of the police evidence inadmissible as the investigative actions of the officers had been flawed.

Prosecutors subsequently dropped the murder charge and Mr Gibson pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter.

Gibson was sentenced to 7.5 years jail over Mr Warneke’s death with a non-parole period of 5.5 years.

However, the Court of Appeal in 2017 overturned this verdict and Mr Gibson was freed.

The WA government later awarded $1.3m to Mr Gibson as compensation for his time in custody lasting almost five years.

The death of Mr Warneke then became the subject of a special crime squad investigation with Western Australian Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan posting a $250,000 reward for information from the public.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...