Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsBREAKING: Man accused of sex doll crime granted bail

BREAKING: Man accused of sex doll crime granted bail

A MAN found in possession of a childlike sex doll who breached strict court-imposed conditions to access news articles about his arrest has been granted bail a second time.

He was charged on January 14 by the South Australia Joint Anti-Child Exploitation Team (JACET) and faces a potential 15-year jail term if convicted of possessing the anatomically-correct doll.

Investigators executed a search warrant at the man’s home, seizing a child-like sex doll, children’s clothing – including school uniforms, swimwear and children’s underwear – and a computer.

Under new Commonwealth laws, the man was the first to be charged in the state for possessing the doll.

The new offence of possessing the doll was introduced on September 20 last year as part of the Combatting Child Sexual Exploitation Legislation Amendment Act 2019.

The 30-year-old man – whose identity has been suppressed – appeared in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court this afternoon pleading guilty to failing to comply with bail agreement.

After his arrest earlier this month, the man was released on bail and ordered not to access the internet.

Two days after he was released on bail, he purchased a phone and used it to view news articles about the case and access social media.

The prosecutor said on January 16, police attended the the defendant’s bail address and when requested, the man revealed the mobile phone.

“Upon analysing the phone, it was found he had logged into his Facebook account,” he said.

The defendant’s lawyer said he obtained the phone to view threats posted on social media and to then deactivate his personal Facebook account.

“Channel 10 published a story regarding the matter which then led to people attending his house,” he said.

“He was then notified he had many received many threats via social media and used the phone to view them.

“His intentions were to deactivate his Facebook account as his photos had been sent to many media outlets to be used.”

The defendant’s lawyer said his client wanted to apologise to the court and said he would not breach conditions again.

The court heard the Commonwealth sought to revoke the bail application, but withdrew and decided to release the man under strict conditions.

Magistrate Panagiotidis warned the man he was charged with a very serious offence and said he had broke conditions in a number of ways.

However, she was satisfied the man’s five-day stint in custody was an adequate penalty.

The man was granted bail to live at a Victorian address.

He was also ordered to report to the Mount Gambier Police Station each week and imposed two people act as guarantors in the sum of $1000 each with a $1000 cash surety.

He will face court again on March 23.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...