Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsBan breach fires up CFS

Ban breach fires up CFS

Nelson Fires 2020 Jaiden Bombski Photo (5) TBW Newsgroup
FIRE MESSAGE: Country Fire Service volunteers are fed up with people not adhering to total fire ban restrictions after a man was arrested for lighting a campfire last week, just a short distance from where a fire occurred at Nelson a week before. Picture: JAIDEN BOMBSKI

A LEADING Limestone Coast firefighter and the region’s top-ranking police officer have vowed to take a no-nonsense approach to people lighting fires illegally following the arrest of a man on Thursday night.

Port MacDonnell Police and a Country Fire Service appliance were called to the Eight Mile Creek campgrounds about 8.30pm after reports of a campfire being lit on a total fire ban day.

While some of the requirements for a comfort campfire during fire danger season were met, being a total fire ban day – with the mercury peaking at 38 degrees – the lighting of the fire was an outright offence and considered irresponsible in the conditions.

A 39-year-old Victorian man was arrested and charged with lighting a fire in the open on a total fire ban day.

The arrest follows a serious fire over the border between Nelson and Portland, which was believed to have started by a campfire.

Kingsley CFS group officer Grant Fensom said the incident was extremely disappointing given the prominence of bushfires around Australia currently.

“Fire bans are put in place for a reason and we are taking a no-nonsense approach to people doing the wrong thing this fire danger season,” Mr Fensom said.

“This is how things can go horribly wrong and we have got enough to deal with across the country at the moment.”

Limestone Coast Police officer in charge Superintendent Phil Hoff said total fire ban days are well-publicised and people should be aware of their obligations.

“We are taking a no tolerance approach in the broader interest of protecting the community,” Supt Hoff said.

“There is plenty of information available about what you can and cannot do during the fire danger season and on a total fire ban day.”

He said the time for leniency has passed as volunteer resources continue to be stretched across the state.

“We are over being nice, we have had to attend other areas where campfires have been left smouldering, people just are not getting the message,” Supt Hoff said.

“If you go camping and you want to have a fire, you must follow all the rules and make sure you extinguish your fire properly.”

Mr Fensom warned there could be consideration for some popular camping sites to close if people continue to ignore the restrictions.

“I cannot speak for other areas, but if people are not careful some of these areas will end up being shut off completely,” he said.

“The rules are fairly standard and this is just building our frustration, because it’s another call-out that could be avoided.”

While a minority are causing the problems, Mr Fensom praised the majority who did the right thing.

“This includes most cropping operators, they are all pretty good these days when it comes to total fire ban days,” Mr Fensom said.

“There is still some who do the wrong thing, which is really sad because there are enough accidental fires happening that we have to deal with.”

Mr Fensom said his crews had been basically “flat out” for close to six months, helping fight fires across the country.

“We are only about halfway through the season and our crews have done around 10,000 hours for other areas across the country,” he said.

“I have been really impressed with the strategic approach towards mental health in light of what’s going on, because it does take its toll and we are on the right path in terms of dealing with that.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...