Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsKingston need for communications upgrade delivered loud and clear at town meeting

Kingston need for communications upgrade delivered loud and clear at town meeting

Kingston TBW Newsgroup
NO SERVICE: Community members packed out the Kingston District Council on Wednesday night for a public meeting to discuss the Keilira fire. Poor communication systems for the council’s rural ratepayers was highlighted as the most pressing issue.

POOR mobile phone coverage was identified as a major issue at a recent community meeting held in the wake of the devastating Keilira bushfire, Kingston District Council chief executive Nat Treager says.

More than 120 people filled the council chamber on Wednesday night to discuss the fires and the recovery process with key stakeholders including the Country Fire Serivce (CFS), Primary Industries and Regions SA and mental health representatives.

Primary Industries and Regional Development Minister Tim Whetstone was joined by Barker MP Tony Pasin and Member for MacKillop Nick McBride, who attended the meeting after visiting fire-affected properties.

Kingston District Council chief executive Nat Traeger said mobile blackspots, as well as failures in landline phone and UHF radio access, were of major concern to the community.

She said a number of landline phones had been knocked out as a result of the fire and users of UHF radio were faced with “dodgy” connectivity during the blaze.

“Without question, communication is the biggest issue,” she said.

“Council is without a doubt committed to securing black spot funding for Keilira.

“It is a priority and it has been well before the bushfire.”

“Telecommunications is not a core responsibility – it is the State and Federal Government’s responsibility, but we are very committed and will continue to lobby.”

Ms Traeger said some residents still had no landline connection as a result of the December 30 fire.

Mr Pasin said following the meeting, he had spoken to the Prime Minister’s Office, the ministers responsible for communications – Minister

Coulton and Minister Fletcher – and Telstra to ensure the community’s sentiments are understood.

He said he had been working with Telstra to ensure landlines are restored as quickly as possible and ensure satellite phones are offered as an interim solution.

“The community meeting reiterated the need for improved telecommunications at Keilira, and, along with the State Minister Tim Whetstone and Nick McBride, we have heard very clearly the need for a mobile phone tower,” he said.

“While there are thousands of mobile blackspots identified around the country, many of which are in high fire risk areas, I will always advocate strongly and at the highest level for communities in Barker.

“I have also been fighting over a considerable period of time for continued Federal and State Government funding to continue to address the lack of mobile phone coverage across rural and regional areas. It will continue to be one of my highest priorities.”

Mr McBride said the meeting demonstrated the community’s “concern and angst” in relation to mobile phone black spots and a solution was immediately needed.

“I will continue to work on securing a mobile phone tower for Keilira with Tony Pasin and Tim Whetstone,” he said.

“Keilira is a massive black spot and it has been burned out three or four times in the last 15 years and it is important the community to have mobile service.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...