Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCaroline gas proposal to provide 'significant' environment and financial benefit for council

Caroline gas proposal to provide ‘significant’ environment and financial benefit for council

Caroline Landfill  TBW Newsgroup
LANDFILL CASH BACK: Mount Gambier City Council are exploring a potential contract to allow a tenderer to collect and utilise gas at the Caroline Landfill site, which would result in a financial gain for council at no cost. Picture: CHARLOTTE VARCOE

MOUNT Gambier City Council is expected to reap both financial and environmental benefits if it pursues a proposal to have landfill gas at Caroline collected and used by a third party business.

Council has investigated options to reduce methane emissions at the Caroline site by installing a landfill gas capture system, with several companies showing interest in accessing the stored byproduct.

Landfill gas typically contains high levels of methane and due to it being a potent greenhouse gas, projects that reduce its release into the atmosphere can be eligible for government funding.

At Monday night’s Economic and Environment Committee meeting, a preferred anonymous tenderer for the project was cited in a report, which would pay council 17pc of its royalties at no capital cost.

As a result, modelling suggests the lowest return on captured gas would still net council around $82,000 over a seven-year contract or $121,000 in a 12-year contract.

Councillor Ben Hood seconded the motion, but sought brief clarification on the figures.

“So over 12 years council will make $10,000 a year with no capital outlay? Cr Hood said.

Council city infrastructure general manager Nick Serle said there was no obligation on council to spend any capital at Caroline to generate the income.

“Then I am very happy to second the motion,” Cr Hood said.

“And we actually make the area better while we do it,” Mr Serle said.

Councillor Paul Jenner questioned whether the transmission powerlines would need to be upgraded at the site.

“The contract that is discussed in this report is simply for the company to collect the gas and flare it and the income is from the carbon credits the government pay when organisations do that,” Mr Serle said.

“The draft contract does contemplate in the future there being enough gas at Caroline to not just flare it but to also use it to produce electricity.

“That’s not anticipated to be until after the seven or 12-year period that this report covers.”

Mr Serle said when that option does become available, any capital cost – such as upgrading powerlines – would still be borne by the contractor.

“Council would still receive 17pc – or in fact once the gas production gets above a certain level it goes to 21pc – of both the revenue from the carbon credits, but also from any electricity sold,” he said.

“So yes there may be a need to invest in electricity infrastructure out at Caroline, but that would be from the contractor not council and we would enjoy the fruits from the royalty.”

Cr Jenner also asked if there were opportunities for solar panels at Caroline in the future.

Mr Serle said that was something the preferred tenderer had already done at three other sites in the past.

“Once the gas recovery has reached the level where they put in power generation and then they have the connection, they have also gone and covered as many of the cap cells with solar panels,” Mr Serle said.

“So council would have the option of allowing them to do it at their cost and reap the royalty or alternatively we could install the panels and use the connection that has been made and sell the electricity ourselves.”

Mr Serle said it was also a decision for council to make in the future.

The report will be tabled again at the council meeting later this month.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...