Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsAgreement to see surgery wait time reduced

Agreement to see surgery wait time reduced

Stephen Wade  TBW Newsgroup
CUTTING WAITING TIMES: Health Minister Stephen Wade has introduced a raft of measures to ease pressure on the state’s public elective surgery list. Picture: SANDRA MORELLO

LIMESTONE Coast residents needing to access elective surgery at Adelaide metropolitan hospitals may have waiting times reduced following a landmark agreement between SA Health and 13 health providers.

Patients may now access service earlier at private facilities in a bid to increase capacity in the state’s public hospitals.

SA Health will also explore increasing the number of surgeries carried out at country and peri-urban hospitals and transferring suitable patients between public hospitals that may have a shorter waiting list to ensure overdue numbers remain low and stable.

According to the SA Health elective surgery dashboard yesterday for country South Australia, there are nearly 600 people overdue for elective surgery.

Nearly 40pc of surgeries had been postponed according to the elective surgery public update.

“Public and private hospitals have always worked together, however this has traditionally been done on an ad hoc, non-strategic basis,” Health Minister Stephen Wade said.

“This new agreement allows for better planning and a more streamlined coordination of services to minimise delays for surgery.

“The 13 private providers include day and overnight hospitals which will primarily assist with providing hospital services such as elective surgery and rehabilitation, but also support during emergencies or major incidents.”

SA Health will manage the panel, which ensures the buying power of every taxpayer dollar is maximised.

“We are better coordinating and better utilising South Australia’s health services to ease pressure on our hospitals and better support the health and wellbeing of all South Australians,” Mr Wade said.

Meanwhile, Mr Wade has also announced the number of South Australian patients overdue for elective surgery had been slashed by more than two-thirds thanks to a $45m commitment to reduce elective surgery wait times.

“In just four months, 1293 people have come off the overdue elective surgery waitlist.

As of July 21, there were 615 patients remaining on the overdue list, down 68pc from 1908 on March 20.

Across South Australia, 3pc of people are overdue for elective surgery.

“We’re making sure that our services deliver better value for the taxpayer dollar, but more importantly, we’re making sure South Australians are not waiting to receive the care they need,” Mr Wade said.

“Since our funding started rolling out, the elective surgery overdue waitlists across all metropolitan hospitals have significantly dropped and elective surgery wait times have significantly improved.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...