Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCold disappearance case mystery

Cold disappearance case mystery

Gordon Rogers Headshotweb TBW Newsgroup
VANISHED: This August marks 49 years since Canadian backpacker, Gordon Rogers, mysteriously disappeared and was never heard from or seen again, following a party in Beachport in 1970.

IT is the question South East residents have been asking for almost 50 years.

What happened to Gordon Bruce Rogers?

On a stormy winter night in August 1970, the Canadian backpacker joined friends at a housewarming party in Beachport before mysteriously vanishing, without a trace.

Possessions including his passport, camera and watch were all left untouched at the quarters where he resided and he was never seen or heard from again.

Four decades later, the cold case was reopened in April 2015 and South Australia’s Major Crime Investigation branch asked people to delve into their memories and recall a time from long ago.

Witnesses were re-interviewed as detectives returned to the ordinary, nondescript house on the back streets of Beachport.

However, despite a $200,000 reward and fresh information, there were still no answers as to what had happened to the clean cut, 21-year-old from Saskatchewan.

Days after his disappearance The South Eastern Times’ August 3, 1970 edition reported extensive searches involving Millicent Police and National Park Rangers had been conducted in an attempt to locate Gordon.

“Gordon Bruce Rogers, a forest worker of Mount Burr has not been seen since a late-night party in Beachport on Saturday night,” the newspaper read.

“Police at Beachport, where the search was organised this morning, reported that Rogers was offered a lift as the party ended late.”

A spokesperson said Gordon told them he preferred to walk and he was reported missing by Peter Woods, who he was staying with over the weekend.

With search parties under way and police in neighbouring towns on the alert, people were looking for the 5ft 11in, well built man with brown hair and eyes donning brown trousers and lime green shirt.

Despite the somewhat suspicious circumstances surrounding the incident, a headline on August 6, 1970 edition of The South Eastern Times screamed “NO FOUL PLAY”.

The first class Constable Witcombe, who was on duty at the time of the disappearance, told reporters Gordon did not like fighting, however it was understood he would stand up and defend himself if he had to.

Investigations proved there had been “quite a few scuffles” at the party, but there was no evidence to prove Gordon was directly involved.

“Anything is possible and investigations into the fights are continuing,” Const. Witcombe said.

Police and search parties reached dense scrub around the town and extensive enquiries were made with people from Southend, Beachport and Rendelsham, who attended the party.

A list of streets were also put together and searchers were paired off to carry out systematic investigations of garages, gardens and scrub in the town.

Men in wading boots dragged nets across the Beachport lagoon and people in four-wheel drives scourted coastlines.

“The official search for Rogers will end soon unless someone comes forward with direct information on where to look,” Cnst Witcombe said.

“If evidence is found to suspect foul play, CIB detectives will be called in.

“The Missing Persons Bureau in Adelaide are investigating and interstate police and news media will also be contacted.”

There was a reported sighting of a man, matching Gordon’s description and wearing a vivid green shirt, at Clearview Station, however nothing further came from searches in that area.

Gordon’s parents travelled to Australia a couple of weeks after the incident in an attempt to locate their son and check out the area he was last seen.

Speaking to The South Eastern Times on August 20, 1970 Gordon’s father said his son was a “relatively quiet lad” and “did not push himself into things”.

“He was one who would enter into a group easily to enjoy himself,” he said.

He said Gordon was a good swimmer, healthy and strong and had no history of any medical problems that would lead to his disappearance.

Mr Rogers said he believed his son had received a bump on the head and was suffering from amnesia.

“He left an expensive camera, his watch and his passport at his quarters and that’s just not like him.

“It just does not fit his personality.”

Following the story, Gordon’s name appeared to “vanish” from headlines as the search was called off and the case grew cold.

A reward of up to $200,000 is being offered for information that leads to the conviction of the anyone responsible for the suspected murder of Gordon and/or leading to the location and recovery of the victim’s remains.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or online at crimestopperssa.com.au.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...