Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsHotel verandah demolition work completed

Hotel verandah demolition work completed

Jake Bowering Marty Davis (1)  TBW Newsgroup
MEN AT WORK: Contractors Jake Bowering and Marty Davis were aboard a scissor lift at daybreak on Monday to continue with the demolition of the Sportsman’s Hotel verandah in Millicent. Picture: J.L.”FRED” SMITH

DEMOLITION of the Millicent’s Sportsman’s Hotel verandah was completed yesterday.

The work was resumed by contractors on Monday after a break for the weekend.

Concerns about the structural integrity of the verandah prompted the demolition.

Specialist asbestos removal personnel started work nine days ago and other contractors have since been on site.

A spokesperson for Teagle Excavations said their workers were unable to salvage any timber.

“Much of the wood was rotting and could not be used for other purposes,” the spokesperson said.

The demolition work has attracted much comment on social media.

A considerable section of the footpath on the adjoining three properties has been temporarily blocked off to pedestrians.

The main door of Absolutely Anything has been closed and so a secondary door is currently in use.

The Sportsman’s Hotel has traded continuously in George Street for the past 143 years and access to the premises is through Davenport Street for the time being.

The hotel has a number of bars and dining rooms, 32 poker machines, a leased shed and private accommodation upstairs.

Also known as the “Sporties”, it is the second-oldest of Millicent’s three pubs and was built in 1876.

Its licence had been transferred by pioneering publican Robert Grist from the long-demolished Bush Inn, which was established at Mount Burr in the 1860s.

It is arguably most prominent overnight guest was English science fiction novelist H.G. Wells who visited in January, 1939.

The Sportsman’s Hotel is operated by Rui Hui Pty Ltd after the licence was transferred in 2017 from SH Millicent Pty Ltd.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...