Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsMotorhome park supported

Motorhome park supported

Rv Camp TBW Newsgroup
HAPPY CAMPERS: Victorian school teachers Jess and Jen enjoyed their stay at the Millicent Showground’s motorhome and RV park and are among over 70 who have taken advantage of the new facilities.
Picture: BROOKE LITTLEWOOD

THE Millicent Showgrounds is best known for hosting one of the biggest social events on the town’s calendar, but it is fast becoming a popular accommodation hub for tourists.

Last year the Millicent Agricultural, Horticultural and Pastoral Society received conditional approval from the Wattle Range Council assessment panel to use a portion of the Gordon Memorial Oval as a park for up to 25 fee-paying motor homes and recreational vehicles.

The gates were opened to the public as a designated area for visitors last month and since then over 70 guests from across the state and as far as Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales and even Germany have used the site.

Millicent secretary Megan Brennan said bookings into the park were immediate and have remained steady, with many guests extending their stay.

“We had three couples book in on the first night, one couple stayed overnight, the next lot for two nights and the other extended their trip for another day because they kept finding things to do,” she said.

“Since then it has been fairly steady and we have had people book in most days.”

Most tourists had discovered the showground’s on WikiCamps, an online database of campgrounds, caravan parks, backpacker hostels, day use area, points of interest, information centres and public dump points.

Ms Brennan said the general comment from those who had stayed was “there is a lot more here than I thought there would be”.

“Many guests have looked at extending their stay because we have encouraged them to check out Millicent and surrounding areas,” she said.

“They are all happy, in particular the Victorians who get to see the grass and green hills.

“A couple of people have been here before and a few of them have said they usually just drive through so the fact they are stopping and bringing money into the town is really good.”

Ms Brennan said popular attractions in Millicent for tourists had been Lake McIntyre, the National Trust Millicent Museum, neighbouring coastal towns including Southend, Beachport and Robe, Ants Redgum Gallery, the Domain Playground and Mount Burr.

“They like the countryside and we have been receiving some great feedback on the shops and the friendliness of the people in town, which is good,” she said.

“We have been using Millicent as the gateway to the Limestone Coast and the best route to the Coonawarra.

“The comment we have been receiving is the park is peaceful and people enjoy the grounds and can see what we are doing here.

“They also give us tips and hints about what other places have got and what we can do for improvement without spending a hell of a lot of money.

“It is good getting money and new people into the town.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...