Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsPotential compensation issues raised as result of Mitsubishi utility retrieval from Blue...

Potential compensation issues raised as result of Mitsubishi utility retrieval from Blue Lake

Triton Blue Lake  TBW Newsgroup
CRASH CHARGES: The Mitsubishi Triton is lifted from the volcanic landmark last year. A young Mount Gambier man may face a large compensation claim in relation to the retrival operation.
Picture: TODD LEWIS

DEFENCE counsel for a young man who crashed his utility into the Blue Lake last year has raised potential issues about compensation claims in relation to the incident.

Jack Michael Bayley, 23, was excused from attending the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court on Tuesday where he faced charges of driving disqualified, driving without due care and drink driving.

The charges relate to an incident where Bayley crashed his Mitsubishi Triton through a guard rail and plunged around 150 metres into the Blue Lake late on the evening of August 3 last year.

Remarkably, the defendant survived the incident after he was ejected from the vehicle just 20 metres from the water’s edge.

Following a four-hour cross-agency operation involving dozens of experienced emergency service staff, volunteers, a helicopter and a dinghy, Bayley was eventually retrieved from the volcanic landmark and transported to hospital with minor injuries.

A month later, SA Water coordinated a significant operation to retrieve the vehicle, which involved diving experts, a 220 tonne crane and dozens of other qualified staff.

At the time of the recovery, SA Water declined to comment on whether they would seek to recoup the costs from the defendant.

“At the moment, SA Water is covering those costs – our focus has been retrieving the car and making sure we do it safely,” SA Water senior production and treatment manager Lisa Hannant said at the time of the recovery operation.

“We will now turn our focus to other issues.”

In court on Tuesday, defence counsel advised the court there could be “significant issues” in relation to compensation.

“We have received nothing in respect of compensation orders,” the defendant’s lawyer said.

Magistrate Teresa Anderson requested the prosecution to provide urgent disclosure of that material.

The matter was adjourned until next month to allow the material to be provided.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...