Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsRegional Foodbank investment

Regional Foodbank investment

Lynne Neshoda  TBW Newsgroup
PURCHASE ON TRACK: Foodbank Mount Gambier branch manager Lynne Neshoda has welcomed the ederal Government contribution which will help the charity purchase its currently leased premises.

THE Limestone Coast Foodbank Hub has welcomed a $100,000 Federal Government boost to help purchase the leased building and expand operations.

Foodbank SA chair Simon Schrapel said the purchase of the Cave Street facility would allow the not-for-profit hunger relief organisation to continue to help those in need of food relief in the region.

Mr Schrapel said since the Limestone Coast Foodbank’s Food Hub opened in 2017, 112 tonnes of food equating to a quarter of a million meals had been distributed.

The hub provides a further 100 tonnes of food, comprising 40pc fresh fruit and vegetables, to community groups in the South East.

“Foodbank SA continues to play a pivotal role in the Limestone Coast community as it grows its presence to distribute more food to more people than ever before,” Mr Schrapel said.

“This funding will be used to help purchase the facility from the current owners so we can expand the building.

“In particular we are seeking to expand our cool room and freezer capacity to accommodate more fresh fruit and veg and frozen products including meat and help to offset our operating costs with the installation of more solar panels.

Img 8701  TBW Newsgroup
FOOD BOOST: Versace Builders’ Vince Versace, Mount Gambier Mayor Lynette Martin OAM, Barker MP Tony Pasin, Foodbank SA chair Simon Schrapel, Shirley Maney and Barry Maney Group managing director David Billard celebrate the $100,000 Federal Government funding windfall for the Limestone Coast Foodbank Hub.

“By being able to purchase the building, Foodbank will be in a position to undertake these needed upgrades.”

Mr Schrapel praised the Federal Government, singling out Member for Barker Tony Pasin for “making this happen”.

“The funding announced today, combined with the support of local donors and the councils in the Limestone Coast region will enable Foodbank SA to purchase the current property this year and undertake the developments to allow us to further grow our services to the community,” he said.

Mr Pasin announced the funding at a gathering at the Cave Street premises on Wednesday night, saying the hub had outgrown its current facility.

“This funding will help make this happen so the invaluable service can support more people when they need it,” he said.

“The late Barry Maney OAM and his wife Shirley were instrumental in the establishment of this regional food hub and it is one of Barry’s great legacies.

“I am thrilled that we can continue to honour this legacy by helping the organisation expand its services.”

Last year, Mount Gambier City Council granted the charity an extension on funding provided in 2017, with Foodbank receiving $42,750 to support the freehold purchase and improvement of the facility.

The Federal funding has now pushed Foodbank’s fundraising for the purchase over the half way mark, with the organisation saying more work needed to be undertaken to reach their goal.

Foodbank called on supporters and other organisations to get behind the charity by donating or purchasing a Foodbank Lottery ticket.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...