Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsSouthend erosion strategy required

Southend erosion strategy required

Southend Jetty  TBW Newsgroup
STRATEGIES NEEDED: Community members are urging for action to be undertaken to combat coastal erosion at Southend.

SAND is slipping away from Southend’s coastline at an alarming rate and residents are calling on Wattle Range Council to trial short-term solutions before the town is swallowed by the sea.

Southend fisherman Scott Redman said community members recognised an issue with erosion quite some time ago, however within the last decade the issue appears to have worsened.

He added while groynes and sea walls worked in certain situations, they were not working in Southend and called for further solutions to be investigated.

“Erosion seems to be getting worse every year, I think it could be as a result of the angle the groynes are on and the way the north west currents come in and take the sand out,” he said.

“At one of the town meetings, one of the ideas we came up with was to hopefully change the angle of the groyne or dog leg it at the end with a few days work on an excavator.

“From this we could see if it would do something to try and promote the sand build up rather than take it away.

“Or if they had put a short rock wall along the foot of the bank of the park, that may be enough to save it.

“I do not believe it is just direct wave action that does it, but more of the high tides and then you get the wave actions that loosen it and the tide goes and sweeps it out.”

Last year council announced it would prohibit new developments and relocate existing infrastructure in areas of Southend in an attempt to combat the looming threat of erosion.

In a commissioned report, council found the town’s caravan park, sailing club and bush camping sites north of Leake Street were at immediate risk of erosion and flooding, with some residential homes at threat of being inundated at the end of the century.

The report recommended a planned retreat of the three areas, with necessary planning works “to begin imminently”.

However, residents are saying a “do nothing” approach is not an option when it comes to saving their town.

Mr Redman said while no one knows what the right thing to do is, some action would be better than none as the situation appears to worsen every year.

“When the groynes were initially put here 30 years ago they were at right angles to the beach,” he said.

“Now it has opened it up and closed the angle so it tends to chew out more, I do not know whether that is worth exploring.

“Obviously it does cost a fair bit of money nowadays to do things like that.

“I think council are slowly starting to get somewhere with it but action needs to be taken as soon as possible because it would be a shame for the town to lose even more of the caravan park on the foreshore which would directly affect tourism to the area”

“When it first started happening residents were raising it as an issue and there was absolutely no action taken, which left some of them feeling let down as a coastal town.”

Mr Redman said the community was aiming to make Southend a tourist destination, with the erosion posing a serious threat to existing and flagged infrastructure.

“We need action to try and curb it in the short term, we might have a really bad winter and it could end up another 10 metres back,” he said.

“We definitely are not going to say we know the right way or wrong way, it is just that something needs to be done.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...