Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsBowling alley future 'under major cloud'

Bowling alley future ‘under major cloud’

IN LIMBO: The future of ten-pin bowling in Mount Gambier has been thrown into limbo following the indefinite closure of Gambier City Bowl on Friday. Picture: TODD LEWIS

THE future of Gambier City Bowl is under a major cloud after landlords seized the business’ building on Friday due to unpaid rent by the current owners.

Part-owner David Wyborn said he was served with a notice on Friday afternoon advising him that DeGaris Lawyers were “seizing” the building in 15 minutes.

A short time later the locks were changed and after 39 years in operation, the future of the ten-pin bowling business was thrown into limbo.

With his own personal financial woes, Mr Wyborn said the situation had left him and the business in a hole.

“If we come up with the amount of rent, we can open back up, but even if we do I’m not going to be apart of it,” Mr Wyborn said.

“The last five years have been dismal, we are barely making enough money to cover wages.”

Bill DeGaris said the owners of the business were “way behind” in their rent, leaving him with no choice but to take control of the assets.

“If they paid their rent and negotiate with us, they could see the continuation of the business, but we have not heard anything from them since Friday,” Mr DeGaris said.

“We believe there is a business there capable of being viable and profitable.”

It is not the first time the landlord has had to step-in, with the centre previously closing over a weekend due to unpaid rent.

Mr Wyborn believed the community lost a lot of confidence in him in the aftermath of that event, which led to a lack of personal motivation.

“Waking up day after day and doing the same thing has been tough and we just have not had the money to make any changes or upgrades,” he said.

“I could get family members to invest money, but I feel like I have lost the support of the people and they will not support it while I’m there.”

Having operated the business for the last decade, Mr Wyborn said it was a great place to be during the first five years.

“I have been a bowler for a long-time, I feel like I understand bowling and at the start we were turning over $600,000 a year and named the number one bowling centre in South Australia,” he said.

“I was working 100 hours a week and I was so passionate about customer service.”

However, it was the second half of his tenure in the business, which took it’s toll on Mr Wyborn.

“We went from having 15 staff to having three in the finish and we only had 50 disabled bowlers, 25 league bowlers and a handful of junior bowlers,” he said.

“Having 75 people out of a population of 25,000 attending your business weekly is not sustainable.”

Despite trying to continue to run the business Mr Wyborn said it was in vain, describing the entertainment venue as a “disaster”.

“There were days when we did not get a cent and we’d go five or six hours without seeing a customer and then have to put on a smile when someone finally walked through the door,” Mr Wyborn said.

“I feel like I have been crying out for years and while this is devastating due to the loss of income for me and the staff, it is also a massive relief.”

He admitted the staff would be understandably upset in light of Friday’s events.

“I have not had a chance to speak to them, but they probably do not want to talk to me anyway,” he said.

“They all have long service leave and mortgages, so it’s a really devastating situation.”

While Mr Wyborn said the lack of the success of the business was both his own fault and a sign of the times, he truly believed someone else could save it.

“Bowling alleys are struggling all over the country because people do not need it as a source of entertainment anymore with the rise of techonology,” Mr Wyborn said.

“It will definitely be a hard slog for whoever takes it over, but if someone came through with the money and the right attitude it still has a place in the city.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...