Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsMid South East football clubs unite for Saints

Mid South East football clubs unite for Saints

STARK CONTRAST: While some of the Nangwarry Football Netball Club facilities remain untouched by fire, the devastation is evident. Rival clubs and the Mid South East Football League will rally behind the Saints to ensure they can contest season 2019. Picture: TODD LEWIS

RIVAL players from the Robe Football Club could soon volunteer their time to rebuild the gutted clubrooms of their Nangwarry counterparts.

The Mid South East Football League and its constituent clubs have reacted with dismay to Wednesday night’s blaze which destroyed the Saints’ clubrooms.

Robe Football Club president John Fenton said he had discussed his club’s response with A Grade coach and “tradie” Jack Kelly.

“It is a family league,” Mr Fenton said.

“We reckon we could get 10-12 tradies on a bus and spend a day at Nangwarry.

“We want to do whatever we can do.

“It is early days and I have phoned Nangwarry Football Club president Shane Ploenges with our offer.

“The fire is devastating for Nangwarry.

“They have been through enough and this is a kick in the guts.”

Hatherleigh Football Club president Deon Chester said he also immediately phoned Mr Ploenges on Thursday morning when he heard the news.

“It is devastating,” Mr Chester said.

“A footy club is the heartbeat of a town.

“They have been going through a tough time on the ovals.

“I hope they will bounce back and get back to having fun and doing what they enjoy.”

Mount Burr United Football Club president Adam Gardiner said there was still a bond between the Mozzies and Nangwarry as both had been “timber towns”.

“It is gut-wrenching,” Mr Gardiner said.

“You really feel sorry for them.

“We will touch base and see how we can help them.

“Our thoughts are with them.”

MSEFL president Peter Mitchell said it was his priority to determine how the league can help the fire-affected club.

Mr Mitchell said it would be a matter to be considered at a delegates meeting of the MSEFL.

“We will try to see if we can catch up with the hierarchy of the Nangwarry Football Club,” Mr Mitchell said.

“We want to hear what are their concerns and needs.

“I imagine it would be extremely difficult to have home games there.

“It could be that marquees be set up.

“Nangwarry might not be able to host home games for some or all of 2019.

“The MSEFL has not yet set our program for the coming season.

“We have been in talks with the Western Border Football League, the Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara Football League and the South East Football Council about the timing of the grand finals.”

According to Mr Mitchell, one option for Nangwarry might be to host its scheduled games at other ovals and take the gate revenue and undertake the catering.

He has lamented the loss of photographs, honour boards and other memorabilia.

“I hope they had copies of their photographs stored somewhere,” he said.

“I know they had the last Legacy Cup.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...