Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsBrothers begin stint behind bars

Brothers begin stint behind bars

CRIME SCENE: Police investigating the scene of the violent brawl on Commercial Street East in May last year.

BROTHERS Jordan and Dominic Von Stanke had their home detention bail revoked in court yesterday to allow them to begin serving an inevitable custodial sentence for the manslaughter of Bordertown man Rex Court last year.

The pair pleaded guilty to the charge of manslaughter earlier this year, which related to an incident on Commercial Street at around 9pm on May 13 last year when Mr Court – a 32-year-old father of three – was killed.

Defence counsel for both Jordan and Dominic did not oppose the revocation of bail when sentencing submissions started before Judge Geraldine Davison in the Adelaide District Court yesterday.

Details of the agreed statement of facts were not expanded on during the hearing.

However, prosecutor Mark Norman submitted there was nothing Mr Court did on the night that could have justified the attack.

“The prosecution’s position is there was no threat posed by the deceased at the time of the attack,” Mr Norman said.

“He was not fighting when he was first assaulted.”

On the night of the attack, Jordan and Dominic pulled up in a black Ford Territory and committed the assault before driving off again.

The pair attempted to dump the car and burn their clothes before attending a party.

The prosecution has previously claimed in court it took the pair just 39 seconds to spear tackle Mr Court, throw him to the ground with a cracking sound and inflict ultimately fatal kicks and stomps.

Yesterday, Mr Norman said the attack continued while Mr Court was laying on the ground helpless and unconscious.

The following day, Mr Court’s family was planning to celebrate Mother’s Day and his father’s birthday, but instead were made to say goodbye, the court heard.

“This is on the higher end of the scale of seriousness – it is a joint attack of significant violence,” the prosecution said.

The defence counsel for the accused requested another date in the new year to make its submissions regarding the pair’s offending.

Jordan and Dominic were remanded in custody until February 4, when sentencing submissions will continue.

The time spent in custody now will be taken into account when the men are sentenced.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Emma Memma brings a Jungle Picnic

PACK a snack and get ready to twirl, Emma Memma is making her way back to Mount Gambier/Berrin. The popular children’s entertainer is looking...

Army recollections

More News

Army recollections

Naracoorte Men's Probus Club members experienced the facilities and hospitality of the Naracoorte Men's Shed for their January meeting. Despite many others being away on...

Inspiring guest speaker for WAB members

LOCHABER Women in Agriculture and Business (WAB) members enjoyed hearing from their guest speaker, Naracoorte High School teacher Tammy Schinckel at their last meeting. Ms...

Road maintenance highlighted

A NUMBER of roads within the Tatiara District Council will receive a facelift. Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Emily Bourke responded to council’s correspondence...

New exhibition encourages dreams

There’s always something happening at the Millicent Library and Gallery. Attracting an audience of over 150, the opening of Remember to Dream exhibition was...

What’s on at the Port MacDonnell Community Complex

There’s always something new to discover at the Port MacDonnell Community Complex, with fresh additions to the library collection, family‑friendly activities and an upcoming...

What’s on at the Mount Gambier Library

Nostalgia Nook Tuesday, 17 February at 10am Join us as we step back in time and rediscover some of the ordinary things that shaped daily life. All...

Growing Skills from Garden to Table

ADVERTORIAL Our Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Program at Sunrise Christian School, Naracoorte, is designed to provide a hands-on, real-world learning focus. The program connects the garden...

Win for Central and tied game

CENTRAL 9 D SOUTH 5 CENTRAL Under 13 Gold captured a 9-5 win over South on Saturday in a game featuring disciplined offense and...

Leila to speak in Mt Gambier

AWARD-WINNING filmmaker, podcaster and rural advocate Leila McDougall has been secured as the headline speaker for Australian Bluegum Plantations’ (ABP) third annual Women in...

Hundreds enjoy a taste of Limestone Coast

Sunshine, tunes and the best products of the Limestone Coast brought hundreds into Naracoorte last week, at the Taste the Limestone Coast Festival. Local wines...