Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsSouth East truck industry showcased

South East truck industry showcased

INDUSTRY SHOWCASE: The trucking industry will put on its second annual family truck show on Saturday, following the third annual Christmas convoy from Penola to Mount Gambier.

THE trucking industry will be showcased at the second annual Mount Gambier Family Truck Show tomorrow, following the third annual Christmas convoy from Penola to the city.

Around 130 trucks are expected to join this year’s convoy, departing Penola at 8.30am for the 52km journey to the Mount Gambier Showgrounds.

Merrett Logging will provide a hearty breakfast for participants before a police escort leads the convoy along the Riddoch Highway.

The gates at the showgrounds will open to the public at 10am, with the only entry fee a gold coin donation towards welfare agency ac.care.

Free children’s activities will include giant games, mini golf, laser tag, a giant sand pit, face painting and an Apex toy train.

Event committee secretary Michelle Nicholls said last year’s truck show attracted a massive crowd and this year promised to be bigger and better.

“We have focused on bringing more interactive activities, especially for teens,” she said.

“There is something for everyone, including a Kenworth split cab, Kalari simulator, tyre changing competition and a LITA forwarder simulator.

“A monster truck will offer rides.

“It is really a showcase of the trucking industry and generous sponsors have allowed us to provide free activities and prizes for competitions.

“All profit will flow back into the community.”

The first Christmas convoy was staged in 2016 and featured 58 trucks.

“This will be the third year for the convoy and the second year for the truck show – both have grown rapidly,” Ms Nicholls said.

“Adam Smith and his wife Julie organised the first convoy to support ac.care by raising funds and donating toys to those less fortunate.

“Last year’s event raised more than $14,000 and we are confident we will reach the same this year.

“The convoy and truck show would not be possible without the amazing sponsorship and hard work of a number of businesses in the industry.”

Trucks from Adelaide and Melbourne will travel to the region for the event.

The truck show will also feature road trains, vintage and historic vehicles, emergency service vehicles, motor sports, market stalls, a camping section and exhibitors.

Competitions will include tug of war, tarp tie down, a Merrett forwarder competition and an 11 category truck competition.

Food vendors will be at the site.

Gates open at 10am and the show will finish with an auction conducted by Slattery’s Auction Group.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...