Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCouncillors decide on New Year’s Eve support

Councillors decide on New Year’s Eve support

MOUNT Gambier City Council has voted against a sub-committee recommendation to withdraw funding for the annual 2018 New Year’s Eve event celebration, retaining its contribution contingent on other sponsorship.

At a recent operational standing committee meeting, councillors Steve Perryman, Ian Von Stanke and chair Mark Lovett voted against granting the event $15,000 cash and in-kind support.

The not-for-profit committee requested $10,000 from council for a number of activities, including the fireworks display.

An additional $5000 for in-kind support was sought for the provision of rubbish bins, tiered seating, bunting and safety flags, labour and signage.

The recommendation was not adopted by elected members at council’s general monthly meeting, with Cr Hanna Persello moving a motion to provide $5000 cash and $3000 in-kind support.

“I believe it is a key event for our community,” Cr Persello said.

“The fireworks are actually enjoyed by the community as a whole from different locations.

“The committee are working hard at the moment to maintain the event.”

Cr Persello added she felt it should be conditional on the Mount Gambier Community Events gaining additional funding streams.

Councillors Sonia Mezinec and Penny Richardson spoke in support of the amendment, including the conditional component of funding.

In a vote, the amendment was supported by the trio, while councillors Ian Von Stanke and Steve Perryman, who spoke in support of discontinuing the council contribution at the organisational standing committee, voting against granting the funding.

However, Cr Von Stanke voted with councillors Mezinec, Richardson and Persello to adopt the motion.

A staff report said council had traditionally provided sponsorship in the vicinity of $10,000 to $12,000

Last year, council approved a one-off sponsorship increase of $5000 cash and $500 in-kind support for the event in a bid to assist with escalating costs.

Mount Gambier Community Events chair Steve Toope said he understood council’s rationale, adding the group would work with the conditions and the funds in an attempt to stage the event.

“I understand there are a whole range of things council has got to support and they have to divide the bucket up,” he said.

“If that is what we have got to work with, that is what we will work with.

“At the end of the day if you want something to happen, you have to do the hard yards and get it done.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...