Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCommunity called on to solve murder mystery

Community called on to solve murder mystery

MUSEUM MURDER: The popular “Murder at the Museum” event will be held at the Millicent Living History National Trust Museum again this year following its sell-out success iin 2017. Last year Kay Bradley, Deirdre Tiddy and Sue Correll were among those involved.

IT is the 1920s and the body of a young woman has washed up on the shores of Lake Bonney, leaving the quiet town of Millicent asking one question “who committed the crime?”

Was it the woman’s fiancé who had returned from the war, the jealous girl next door or the crazy preacher?

The Millicent Living History National Trust Museum is calling on amateur sleuths to grab their magnifying glasses, trench coats and detective hats to assist them with solving the crime as part of the popular “Murder at the Museum” event.

Following last year’s sellout success, this year’s event again sees participants play the investigator as they are led by guides through the museum following a trail of cryptic clues and discovering secrets about the three main suspects along the way.

“The suspects who we think were involved are in the museum and visitors will play the part of investigators,” organiser Chris Parmenter said.

“They will be assisted by tour guides who will help them work though the maze of clues and there will be a lot of local townspeople around the place they will be able to interrogate.”

The event will take participants back almost a century to the 1920s jazz era, and will see the involvement of over 30 community members who will play the part, dressed in costume to suit the theme of the night.

“When people turn up, they will be given a little introduction to the murder and the basic facts,” Mr Parmenter said.

“The tour will run for about an hour and after they are finished they will get to write their conclusions down on a piece of paper and we will draw a random winner to win a dinner for two at the Sumerset Hotel.

“People are quite welcome to come dressed in character and join in the fun of it, but it’s really just a way for people to see the museum in a different light.”

The theatrical evening features an original script written by Mr Parmenter and will be presented by community actors, including local troupe the Company of Seven.

“It’s a community event,” Mr Parmenter said.

“The whole basis is ideally to let the community know what a great museum we have and they are all part of it.

“We want Millicent to take ownership of the museum.”

Last year’s 1880s themed event was a sell-out, attracting 120 amateur sleuths from the South East and as far as Victoria.

Murder at the Museum will be held at the Millicent National Trust Museum on April 14, with tours starting at 6pm.

Gill Purdie’s vintage cars will be on display to set the mood for the evening and jazz music will play.

Refreshments will be available with the Lions club’s doughnuts, while the Lionesses will provide tea and coffee.

The winner will receive a meal voucher from the Somerset Hotel.

The killer and their motive will be revealed in the South Eastern Times on April 17.

Tickets to the suspenseful evening are $10 for adults and free for accompanied children and enables the holder to one free adult entry to explore the museum on April 15.

Bookings are now open and Mr Parmenter encourages those interested to get in quick as the event is sure to be a sell-out.

Call the Millicent Visitor Information Centre 8733 0904 or drop by to reserve a place.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...